PDA

View Full Version : The best defending techniques

Mastermind
24-08-2003, 09:00
I really need to be shown how to defend effectively. I have no problems with scoring (Scores 3 min. goals on friendly matches – 5 stars level), however I end-up by loosing the game 4-3. I use 3-4-3 (With 2 Midfielders In front the defenders and 2 behind the 3 Forward).
I keep on using the [] X defending style where I call for second defender to assist. This creates an opening for another striker to be one-to-one with the goalkeeper.

Any clues?

jag87
24-08-2003, 09:10
The best way that i use to defend is if on a 1:1 situation, Keeper rush by holding down triangle. Otherwise pressing 'O' for a perfect slide tackle. The Artificial inteligance of the players builds as you play the game more.

elliottume
24-08-2003, 10:41
Bringing your keeper out is usually the best method, though if it's a good player they can easily round you and score an easy goal.

bantampride
26-08-2003, 12:21
And most good players are decent at chipping too. My best advice is too stay cool, stay on your feet, and contain. I play 4-4-2 with attacking full backs and I always used to get caught out. But now I play with a defensive midfielder (Gerrard is good for this) who acts as the first line of defence accross the park. I use Gerrard cos he's pacy, nad got good stamina, and is also a good tackler. By doing this my CB's stay in the centre even if my full backs are still up.

Using triangle in sweeper keeper stylee is also effective.

PicturePerfect
26-08-2003, 13:17
Actually, I've found tapping /\ rapidly when in a one-on-one situation to be much more effective then holding it. It helps to cut out those outrageous angles your GK tends to make while not straying too far.

Mambo
26-08-2003, 19:50
I'd switch to the 3-4-3 formation that has a diamond midfield. This way the wingers can not only attck but they cover the flanks so the defence is not left as exposed. This allows your three defenders to stay more central and you are less likely to be caught 1on1 or 2on2.

When using the [] X method use your defender to cover the other option as well as being well positioned to intercept/tackle if he gets past the computer player. Don't be afraid to deselect him, the computer will win the ball quite a lot of the time and if not will surely slow their guy down and give time for more players to come back.

I would go against bringing your keeper out, as said before good players will just go round or chip him. You can bring him out a bit though to narrow the angle slightly. If your mate looks at the radar a lot bring the keeper out a bit as if hes going to come out all the way, and then let go of triangle - your mate may try the lob only to see it go into your keepers hands :)

Evo
29-08-2003, 01:29
i never use the [] X method against good teams as it leaves u 2 exposed (although the computer really shoots from far)

i basically try and predict which way the player will turn/pass and intercept as i believe the computer is 2 predictable....

when am playing other people like me m8s i just close them down quickly and always make sure that if am going to dive in that there is another player to cover or if they are through the keeper has the advantage in the rush

head
01-09-2003, 17:01
i use X + R1 + the direction. press them at the same time or tap X. The defender dashes and tries to get the ball. Its freakin effective

sockwhore
05-09-2003, 05:07
I noticed when you're chasing an attacker along the outside of the box, if you are within arms reach of him, the AI will always do a dragback then cross it in. If you watch the player closely you will see a slight hiccup in his animations. This is him switching off sprint. At that time you anticipate his cutback and easily snatch the ball as he turns around.

Dominic.
06-09-2003, 11:50
I usually hold R1 + x+ []. Your player and your teammates will run to the opposing attacker, this way they will surround the attacker give him no room and eventually snatch the ball. Works most of the time.

Robinho
08-09-2003, 04:13
I'm just a born defender :cool: i take pride in defending my own goal. Try and play with a back-four but allow your full-backs to get forward. The only time i concede goals is by making very silly mistakes like squandering possession in my own half (or sometimes own box :|)

Don't use the [] to close down with your centre backs or they will be pulled well out of position. I find defending as a team a very good way to defend - press high up the pitch using the [] make your strikers and attacking midfielders pressurise the opposition on the ball and then if they get thru uve got ur defensive midfielders and defenders to snuff out the attacks.. try and force the opposition wide. dont allow them too much space to just pick their passes.

also the last line of defence the goalkeeper has saved me ENUFF times using L1 - use it enough and you will get to know the timing and the best time to bring the keeper out. i pretty much always have my finger near L1 so i can react quickly to long balls or decent through balls. sometimes there is just nothing you can do about class attacking play, especially if you are winning by a couple of goals its very likely the team will almost 'cheat' their way and play above themselves to get a goal back

bantampride
09-09-2003, 09:38
I agree with defending from the front -

when the opposition are attacking - make sure u can get many of the midfielders back as quickly as u can. This will make u harder to break down and maybe force the oppo into making a mistake. Contain I say. CONTAIN!

Tseno
09-09-2003, 16:18
Definitely use a defensive midfielder who doesn't take part in the attacks. He stays in front of the defence and puts the attacking players from the opposite team under pressure. Try to forse the opposing players to search up the wings, and then let your full back do the work. If he passes your full back, there are still your 2 centre backs. If the attacker plays the ball in the air, keep cool, anticipate and go for the header. If he passes your centre-back, use your other centre-back to set him under pressure, and make your keeper come out. Nearly impossible to score :D

It's all about defending in zone. Don't follow the attacker when he runs from the right to the left for exemple. Just stay cool. The player which is the nearest to the attacker sets him under pressure. If he comes close to goal area, go for it. Pressing X helps a lot. Just go straight to the attacker, and steal the bal. Timing is very important. Play agressive, and put the opposite team under pressure. Use the zone-press strategie!! Every player is put under pressure. Your attackers has to defend as well. Football is a team-sport.

Just don't make 'uncontroled' moves. Tackle correctly, and only when it's necessary. It's useless to give away cheap free-kicks when playing against England for exemple. Beckham is a serieus threat :D. When playing against speady attackers, like Owen, make a quick decision. If he's one-on-one with a defender, tackle him, best the furthest away from the goal. Correctly or not, isn't important. Stop him.
Don't give him the chance to go one-on-one with the goalie. Brilliant strikers put the ball in the net most of the time, so... When stopping an attacker (in a flagrant way) far enough from the goal, you hardly ever get a red card. And that is what it's all about: don't get a man sent off.

I can defend really well I would say, and without making many fouls. I just play agressive, put the whole opposite team under pressure. Now playing the International League on the Extreme Level with Bulgaria, and only took 4 yellow and 2 red cards in 24 games. Defending, it's an art :D

Eirik555
12-09-2003, 11:47
I like to pass the ball alot and keep the ball in the team. Transaletet to norwegian it is:

Jeg liker å slå ballen mye og holde ballen i laget.

Tseno
12-09-2003, 11:49
Just the way I like to do it

Eirik555
12-09-2003, 11:56
Do you understand norwegian?

Here is some:

forstår du norsk?

Tseno
12-09-2003, 11:59
I would have known that sentence.
(Ik zou die zin begrepen hebben ---> Dutch :D)

Eirik555
12-09-2003, 12:02
I don't speak dutch, only german and English.

Sprichts du deutch?

Tseno
12-09-2003, 12:09
Naturlich spreche Ich Deutsch. Ich habe schon 4 Jahren Deutsch gemacht in die Schule. Sprechen ist keine Probleim, aber schreiben...
Ich spreche Niederländisch, Englisch, Deutsch, und Französisch.

Est-ce que vous parlez le français?

Eirik555
12-09-2003, 12:19
Ja ich spreche gut Deutch. Ich habe nur 1 Jahr mit Deutch gehabt aber ich kann sehr gut Deutch schreiben un sprechen. Ich habe viele Freunde in die süd Deutchland. Nein ich spreche nicht Französisch. Wir haben es nicht gelernt das in die Schule. Ich kann nur: merci, und au revoair. ich weist auf es ist recht aber ich kan nur es sagen. Ich habe niemals auf Frankreich gewesen, aber ich habe ein gang auf Deutchland gewesen, in Stuttgart.

tomo1811
12-09-2003, 12:29
the best defensive technique is get as many blokes behind the ball then counter attck with quick attackers

tomo1811
12-09-2003, 12:30
we swaering in foreign cool

du kanst mich mal
(kiss my arse)

i think

Eirik555
12-09-2003, 12:34
What do you mean?

tomo1811
14-09-2003, 19:11
i said am we swearing in foreign and i put kiss my ass in german i think

Mez
15-09-2003, 18:31
I tend to just use the [] x method, and should I see them about to dispatch a pass through on goal, i'll immediately bring the keeper out. You may conced the odd girl, but if you can read the game well, it works.

I usually play a sweeper and a DMF aswell. Helps.

mr ajax
15-09-2003, 20:49
Use square and X wisely, square is to add another defender on the player with ball. Use it and watch ou for gaps, when a you think there is going to be a gap just release square and the defender runs back to his zone

tomo1811
15-09-2003, 20:56
parma have the best defense it closes in the attackers when u go forward theres a wall of players, then when u go back to find space you get a suffacated by the 2 defensive midfielders

Giggsy11
16-09-2003, 10:41
all u haved 2 remenber is not 2 dive in, when a striker is running at your defence keep moving your defender back and then make the challange.

if u just dive in they will usally take it round you

I am quite good at defending-me and my mate have joke that i use the smoothering techicnique were i get all my defenders in one area.

I must be a natural

tomo1811
17-09-2003, 08:34
i was playing y/day against me m8 and he didnt dive in, the last week or so i have been doing the last minute flick, ronaldo does it when u kinda stumble but stretch to retain the ball he couldnt defend against and was constantly fouling me you cant defend against its almost impossible!!!

hamsupken
15-10-2003, 21:19
its bloody useful.
usually the team's offensive and defensive moods are done automatically depending whether you are attacking or defending but you can do it manually by pressing L2 + square or circle.

Sometimes, when you are defending the bar at the bottom of the screen is in the middle, but if you press L2 and square it brings players from midfield to help out and vice versa if you want to play a quick counter attack by press L2 + circle.

I use Japan, which has pretty decent mid fielders rought bad boy defenders and er... crappy strikers on a 3-4-3 diamond formation. The only problem i have with using Japan is that They are slow and often vunlarable to being left open on the flank and thats why i experiemented and found this very useful tactit. Hope this helps

surprised no one mentioned this before

tomo1811
16-10-2003, 02:31
i cant use japan they need a playmaker, i made alex(santos) from champ man stats and it helped alot but the only asian team i can use is the s-koreo i can use lee chun soo effectiveley

hamsupken
16-10-2003, 04:03
i can only use Japan, Argentina and England no other team.

tomo1811
16-10-2003, 17:10
well um shit then ay ya

hamsupken
17-10-2003, 17:04
well um shit then ay ya

maybe but its shocking what i can do with the ball.
fancy a game hey :D

oh yes the last few days has been an experiement. I was using the 4-4-2 formation with a diamond midfield and to be pretty honest its pretty good formation although i only scored 1 goal in like 10 games. Changed back to my beloved 3-4-3 diamond midfield scored 3 againtest Nigera 3 againest France 2 againest England. Well the moral? Stick to a formation you most feel comfortable with.

And in corelation with this thread. Defensive methods.

When you are defending and the opponent is passing the ball a lot, let go of the running button on R1 and leave the D pad movements to a minimal, this resets the positioning of the defenders and defenders who wondered off their position will be called back to man marking.

familymahone
25-10-2003, 20:04
Always try to stay in front of the attacking player to block any attempted shots/passes and to force the player wide. Use the [] button sparingly as this will leave your defence out of position if the pass does make it through. Use the X button when facing and close to the attacker otherwise the result may be a dangerous free kick. Avoid using the slide tackle until you are fully confident of winning the ball (a last-ditch match-saving sliding tackle in your own penalty box against your mate in the final minute is even better than scoring).

flamingsombrero
27-10-2003, 06:20
ive found that not diving in with the x button all the time helps slow the cpu attack down, use the r2 button plus the direction arrow towards your own goal to track the opposing player with the ball, then just cut out the pass or steal it with x or o if they make a mistake.

robinho17
27-10-2003, 21:09
whats the best method while chasing attacker along the wing..they tend to keep you shrugged of no matter how quick your player is!

alawode
27-10-2003, 21:13
i am i the only one that thinks this game is a peice of cr**p? When u press the x button to stop attackers your player just seems to stick out his foot but still miss the tackle, and when the attacker is running side by side with your defender the only alternative u have is to actually foul him

robinho17
27-10-2003, 21:17
i notice playing agaist cpu..the tend to pass more often..and occasionaly while dribbling change directions..i normaly wait till they come in close range and use x and try to steal..most of the time they get away until i have back up defender who eventually cuts him down..but it's annoying when you have so many defenders against the cpu..they do nothing special..like feints or tricks and they get by...this is coming from the worst defender to ever grace PES!!!i try different tecniques..and nothing really seems to be consistent when it comes for me to defend!

familymahone
28-10-2003, 00:55
Unless your player is super quick the best thing to do is to run up the wing parallel to the attacker and wait for him to cross or pass and swiftly move in for a tackle. You can also make a sliding challenge if you can get far enough ahead of him but it must be timed to perfection otherwise the yellow will come out. I think it makes the game more difficult (and better) by how easy it is to foul with the X button, in the last game I just used to hit the X button constantly when defending which usually resulted in me getting the ball and only occaisionally resulted in a foul. Now all tackles must be timed properly which can only be a good thing.

tomo1811
28-10-2003, 02:28
i used the defending training on pes3, the beginners bit lol, i did it to see if i cud gets sum pes points any way it shows ya how to force an attacker back into it own half i dont defend tht much as im a gung ho kinda guy but when i played real madrid in master league wid deportivo they were all over me, i just went to formation put my cb forward and they had no chance of breakin me dwn, i recommend any1 hus got pes3 to use it, its on training beginers guide the defending mode!

easty
31-05-2004, 14:26
the best way to defend, like me is to bring the fuckers down and hope for the best. the best way is to get as close as you can to the players and then slide :circle: then the foul is less likely to be a dirty one and may spare the victim thier kneecaps. for examples of fouls watch vieira.

jag87
31-05-2004, 14:28
The best way to defend is put pacey mo'f'ers in defense and when the striker is clear, charge out your keeper and run back with your defenders. Works a charm!

bish1
31-05-2004, 14:38
also a 5-4-1 formation with 2 dmfs sitting infront of your back four (i.e vieira + gerrard) will make any attacker think twice about making a run

manolete
31-05-2004, 21:37
use the radar to keep the shape of your team and try to eliminate as much spaces as you can

Jonny2J
31-05-2004, 22:21
im from the Kevin Keegan skool and just attack

manolete
01-06-2004, 18:21
well, then it would be a problem if you lose ball...I suppose everybody loves having always the ball but the key is know what to do when you cannot have it...

tomo1811
01-06-2004, 22:33
strong centre backs: good in the air, strong, pace is a bonus
pacey wing back: these allow you to cover the centre back if commited and good when u attack

when they attack down the wing say the left! use the left back to deal with it not ya centre back only use ya centre backs when there at the centre of the goal. if they get past ya wing back, u need ya centre back and ya defensive midfielder should cover! i also fine u get your wingers back crrowd attackers out forse them wide and be prepared to use ya goalkeeper. i recommend a goalie with good areial ability

bomb-a
29-06-2004, 14:57
i play on 3 stars and all i do when im off the ball is hold :L1: :x:
the defender stays on his player until he gets the ball or gives away a freekick (no yellow card)

Lami
29-06-2004, 17:43
i play 3-4-3, 3 strong and tall defenders, and another strong/tall defensive midfield. opponents offence then just suffer. coz whenever i fight for the ball my Dfs win it. their speed doesnt have to be 80's and 90's tho. 70's works fine with me.

jMz
29-06-2004, 23:50
I use different formations all the time, but usually a back 3 or 4.
With a back 3, Use a sweeper in the centre, put the individual defence status of each defender to high, and put back line strategy to C along with offside trap. This will make them sit back, just keep getting in the way of anyone near the goal. This frustrates the hell out of my mates, cos they may get a break, and the box is covered, and I just defend well. Very rarely concede against player or cpu with this method. Also it would be safe to including a defensive midfielder watching gaps and helping out.

With a back 4, Make sure you haven't got them pushing out too far, but make sure they also don't sit too deep. The offside trap is more effective with a back 4, and you can risk pushing up a little further, getting your full backs in on attacks. Just make sure you have a good defensive midfielder, always staying back to cover any gaps left by forward running players. Also put the indvidual defence to high on CBTs, and normal on SB's. Then High for DMF. With a back 4 it is best to zone press and counter attack.

Stop your keeper running out by putting his individual defence to high. Then he will only come out when you press triangle.

The ultimate in defending is the cooperative mode, as long as you have an equal team mate. Me and one friend in particular have got a natural rythm going in co-op. We don't speak and know what's going on all the time, we have never been beaten when we've been on the same side and we've played a lot of wannabes. Saying that we've been gaming together for 15 years, so you'd kind of expect it.

UD Capo
05-07-2004, 10:29
Best defending system.....
4-3-1-2 is the best so far!
Line defense A,playing offside B, Counterattack A and Pressure B/A whatever you like.
3 Defensive Midfields one Ofensive and 2 Strikers!
Such a Buffon;Cocco,Nesta,Cannavaro,M aldini;Baronio,Tommasi,Tachina rdi;Totti;Vieri,Di Vaio....this team rox 0 goals many scored goals.:P

For me this is the best defensive system/team so far although i dont play such defensive.:=)

Cellini
05-07-2004, 16:32
Get in front of the player on the ball with R1, and/or manually controlling your defender with R1+R2, Call up support if you need cover before you make the tackle.

If the player is bearing down on your last defender, drop off the player on the ball using R2 in retreat, and call up cover.

Before you get back into your own area, just chip in with an X tackle, only use a sliding tackle if coming in from the side.

There is all sorts of pushing and pulling that seems to work with R2 when players are sprinting side by side. I'd like to know more about how to rough up attackers more, if anyone knows?

Or on the attacking side, my brother is always pushing and shoving my forwards from behind when they get away on a break, until they stumble and he regains possession - is there any way to stand up to or get away from this rough stuff?

And can anyone say for sure what the fastest speint possible is when NOT in possession - R1 with double-tap? Is a manual run (R1+R2) as fast?

UD Capo
06-07-2004, 22:56
Only R1 is the fast Sprint in not possesion of the ball.

Cellini
07-07-2004, 12:14
Thanks, so I guess :R1: plus double-tap must be fastest when not in possession.

Scarface
07-07-2004, 12:46
i am usually very gud at defendin..i try and keep hold of possession 4 as long as possible and pass it about in the defence and midfield, especially when im defending a lead..i try not 2 dive in but as sum1 mentioned earlier wen u just need 2 take the attacker out press :circle: but make sure (if possible) its quite far away from goal, the chances of a red card r far less then. i play as arsenal most of the time and jens lehmann generally reads the game well and so claims a lot of crosses and rushes out very effectively. with sol campbell and kolo toure it is particularly strong, as they have such magnificent pace and are both very strong and gud in the air. i partner vieira with gilberto silva in the middle and have gilberto as the holdin player and let vieira get forward a bit more ( gilberto only makes runs sparingly) my strikers,reyes and henry, tend 2 not backtrack very much, however reyes does far more than henry! so i like 2 get my wingers bk defendin 2 protect the forward thinkin lauren and a.cole..pires i use in a very attackin role so i have 2 bring sol campbell ova 2 the left of the game and often press :R1: & [] 2 cover ashley cole. freddie ljungberg defends rly well and covers lauren brilliantly, so havin a winger who cums bk 2 defend can b rly helpful ;) a strong partnership in midfield can b rly beneficial..gilberto silva and vieira at arsenal works amazingly well!
the main thin tho is just 2 stay calm, even wen under a lot of pressure, dont play the defence 2 deep ( like england :D ) and slide tackle around the penalty area and inside it only wen very necessary!

manolete
07-07-2004, 15:08
using the manual cursor is the key, so you let the CPU press with one or two players while you cover the space with the one you have controll of.

Mastermind
08-07-2004, 18:39

Flipper the Priest
09-07-2004, 16:08
Hold :square: then use the player you are controlling the mark the runner most likely to receive the ball.

Works 95% of the time.

young
10-07-2004, 03:31
hello there mastermind.i had the same problem but this worked for me.
the formation is 4-3-3 and goes like this

-------------------------gk--------------------------

----------LB-------------CB--------------RB----------

-------------------------CB---------------------------

------------------------DM---------------------------

-------RMF--------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------LMF

----------------------CF---------------------------

----------CF---------------------------CF---------

try it with zone press and use the tip of bringing second defender to help by pressing

square n the x button at the same time.let me know if it worked for you .i play with italy national team.

ChelseaDave
10-07-2004, 18:45
A good defensive formation i use is a 4-5-1.

-------------GK-----------
--LB-----CB----CB----RB--
---------DMF-------------
--LM-----------CM----RM--
--------OMF---------------
----------------CF---------

You get plenty of players behind the ball & when you go forward, you get plenty of the midfielders supporting the forward, so you dont get too isolated.

Only conceded 3 goals in my last 18 games on ML and scored 27 with this formation.

keegan57
16-07-2004, 08:54
hey guys how do i just bring my midfielders and backline just all in the box without having to manually position them? when i play there always seems a gap between my midfielders and backline and all my player opponents do is short passes from midfield to their forwards and their forwards have to just beat my cb's...i just want to stuff the whole penalty box with defenders and play defense !! would putting my midfielders

on high defense mindedness do it? how bout my back 4? should i put them on high defense also?

young
16-07-2004, 09:24
hey guys how do i just bring my midfielders and backline just all in the box without having to manually position them? when i play there always seems a gap between my midfielders and backline and all my player opponents do is short passes from midfield to their forwards and their forwards have to just beat my cb's...i just want to stuff the whole penalty box with defenders and play defense !! would putting my midfielders

on high defense mindedness do it? how bout my back 4? should i put them on high defense also?

hi there friend . i always use high defense for all the players in semi auto mode
and the side defenders give them an straight ahead attack arrow.
i think that the secret is to defend as much higher you can even in the half of the stadium so the opposite team makes a mistake.You can imagine i suppose whats next :D

keegan57
16-07-2004, 10:10
ya i think your right YOUNG, i guess a lot of pressing at the midfield and my backline coming up is better than just sitting back and filling up the penalty area with my defenders...anybody else have ideas ?

defensivemidfielder
16-07-2004, 17:27
I use the same 3-5-2 formation I have used since first playing ISS PE.
2 strikers, an OMF just under them in the middle, two wmfs, and two DMFs in front of my back line. In this formation, the DMFs are crucial; they must have many skills, and you should have depth on the roster at this position because these players are responsible for many tasks, and they get exhausted often.

Up front I have my two strikers, one of whom is purely to score (like an Mboma or Batistuta in ISS), the other should have high stamina and decent defensive skill (for a striker). I use the strikers to angle my opponent toward a wing, where I look for a potential trap with either the OMF closing in the middle, or the WMF pushing up, or both. The key is to slow the ball down, and set up a clean tackle from a good angle. I usually only place MFs with at least a 40+ defensive rating on my wings and at OMF. I prefer 48+. You may lose a little offense, but if you collect the right DMFs and SBs you can compensate. The OMF, while a great passer, must have high stamina. The key is to trap, tackle, and counter.

The DMFs are very important because should the attacker elude the initial traps (along the sideline, near the half-line), they have to have the speed to close down the angle on the potential cross or the agility to keep a good dribbler in front until the other midfielders recover and regroup. I also want them to be tall and solid in the air because sometimes an opponent will attempt to pass over the sideline traps. Should the opponent manage to get through down the wing I am looking to stop ball - in this situation I only slide tackle with a DMF if it is a sure bet. I use Ndo (Cameroon) in this spot, usually teamed with another aggressive DMF. Veira or Keane would work well too, but I like to build my teams from unsigned players. I want my DMFs to have good dribbling and attacking skills so should they pick up a loose ball, make an interception or clean tackle or win a ball in the air, they can initiate a quick counter attack through either the air or by carrying the ball.

My sidebacks are smaller and quicker, with limited attack skills, strong defense and average to above average dribbling and passing skills. They have to close down rapidly if the DMF is beat. Sometimes I use them to slide tackle if I have been beaten as a DMF and I call for help using the square button, but they have to take the correct angle on their own (CPU) since I am still closing from behind with a DMF. Offensively the SBs just need to be able to move the ball to a wing or DMF. I use players like Hedjuk (USA), Soto (Peru) and John Terry in this role. At CBT I like size, defensive ability and air power.

In sum, the primary objective is to be patient and hold angles, letting the attacker move himself into a difficult spot, either through inpatience, lack of skill, or me pushing him there. Then, spring the shutdown pressure to force a bad pass or overzealous dribble attempt, dispossess and counter. Or, if I have a lead, patiently move the ball until I find a gap. This strategy really frustrates impatient, run-and-gun opponents. All you really want to do is make them uncomfortable and stop their rhythm. Make it ugly. Keep the man in front, and use the X button to break their possession. Also, if a 50/50 ball is loose, and you have a safe angle, slide to it and push it to a teamate. Be patient, and, if no counter attack is available, go backwards and switch the ball.

dorval
16-07-2004, 17:47
lololo nicely done defensivemidfielder....but if your opponent plays in a flat 4-4-2 with all the defenders on high defense...the smf's with low defense with attacking runs...2 defensive midfielders on high defense without attacking runs and then 2 strikers one who has high defense and no attacking runs and the other the exact opposite you won't stand a chance....i mean it would be a very difficult match...ehhehe i love tactics and strategy

keegan57
16-07-2004, 19:40
defensivemidfielder , or anybody out there....

do u have any suggestions for a 4-4-2? i use holland so i like that formation. do u ever use cover marking instead of zone marking or man marking, and if you do why? do u use high mindedness on your defenders or midfielders and if u do can u explain why?

how bout your defense system ? Defense line? normal? sweeper? and ofcourse explain why u choose these tactics so i can understand better.

last but not least how bout your team strategy
BACK LINE ?
ZONE PRESS?
OFFSIDE TRAP?
COUNTER ATTACK?

i would just like to understand these strategies and tactics much better.

tomo1811
16-07-2004, 22:33
i used brazils system t'other, 4 at the back 2 defensive mids 2 wide players and 2 strikers. this allow me wing back to get forward creating at times a 6 man attack but when defending have 6 at the back brilliant!! i recomend u use it

keegan57
17-07-2004, 02:59
guys i need help on defending headers. i can score goals but defeding headers are a nightmare. at times i just see my defenders watching the ball

when my opponent crosses it. there will be like 3 strikers in the penalty area to my 5 or 6 defenders and 3 of them will just watch. what im trying to get at

is that i would like for 2 defenders to try to head the ball out when it is crossed instead of my CB's trying to head it out everytime. is there a way

that you guys do to make this happen? summarize this up...just want all my
defenders to get involved when the cross is being crossed and not just lookin

i started a thread of headers but i should of just put in here. sorry...

at my defender vs. his striker ....manually controlling and going to the box i do that but on wide screen and if the cross is coming from top screen i cant see the box and who to mark so thats why i want my teammates to

go for every cross when being crossed. it hurts when i have 5 defenders back there and he only has 2 or 3 strikers and him winning the headers.

jowie53
17-01-2007, 12:03
Hey everyone. I've read this entire thread and have tried many of the suggestions that people have written as to the best way to defend but I'm still having massive problems.

I predominantly play PE against my brother in the Memorial Match option where the match results can be recorded. My record currently sits at 23W 6D 37L. He won the first 7 games before I won one, lol. We had been playing before we started using this option and I would think that the ledger for those games would have been pretty even, most games being decided by one goal and very tight games.

Anyways in recent times, my bro has been smashing me by 5 or 6 goals every game, I've tried 4-4-2 with a DMF, 2 WMF and an AMF, 3-5-2 with 2DMF, 2WMF and an AMF, 4-3-3 with a DMF and 2 WMF, 5-3-2 with 2DMF and an AMF (effectively 7 defenders in this one). And I use the auto-sort option which seems to put the best players in for particular positions in the right spot for whichever team I'm playing with. Sometimes I'll win but it'll be by one goal with a score like 5-4 or 6-5. The little bastard also has a knack of equalising when I'm one goal up from 88 minutes onwards. Then it will go to extra time and he wins.

What I try to do is stand off the player with the ball and try and predict where he gonna pass it and use [] to call in a second defender to harass the player with the ball. I think this is probably the best way to defend but it seems to put my formation out of whack and opens up massive holes. When I predict correctly where the pass is going to go and slide tackle to intercept, it looks like the ball goes straight through my players body and goes straight to my brother's player.

He basically has his finger on R1 the whole game so when I have the ball I have little time to decide what to do. I try and slow the game down to prevent him using it when I'm attacking but he'll still steal the ball in his half, do one through ball, and most of the time, I'm left with like 2 defenders at the back and he just sprints around them and scores. If my defence is relatively set, he either goes down the middle and my defence just spreads apart and he slots goals in from 25, or he runs around the back of my defence and passes to the striker standing 5 yards out even with like 7 defenders (5 and 2DMF) standing in the box.

Every slide tackle he does he either takes the ball, or clips my heels so I stumble, then he stands up and takes the ball no call nearly 9 times out of 10. When I slide tackle, I either miss completely or foul and get a yellow or red card.

When I use /\ for one-on-ones too, 2 out of 10 times probably the keeper fouls the striker and gets a red card. Then when he keeper charges it never happens to him.

I'm am nearly fed up with this game. I can't work it out at all. And I know most people will say you've gotta practice but I have been and I think I'm actually getting worse because my bro never used to beat me by 5 goals every game. Used to be 2 goals at the most.

I need help!!! Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

coullj
17-01-2007, 16:16
Well the reason that your defence gets all "out of whack when u press [] is because your dragging another player out of position! dont do it!! just use X. I personally play with my finger on R1 all of the game to and it seems like im as lucky as him when it comes to tackling!

but if you play how you would in real life it wud probably help you! dont back off 2much because u need apply pressure to the player, so maybe when hes running full pelt back off, but when hes slowly dribbling, go towards him with X or even O, right for the middle of the player so u take him and the ball! but i wouldnt recommed diving in with O unless your 90% sure your gonna get the ball otherwise that defender is out the game! hope that kinda helps oh and show the player onto his weaker foot and preferably away from goal! and then stop the cross!! its just basic defending really

Kewell[AUS]
18-01-2007, 06:18
You guys are really taking the hints and tips to another level. Respect for that.

jowie53
18-01-2007, 10:26
Thanks coullj, but I think I'm just gonna give up. I just made my bro play with CS Sedan and me Man U and he beat me 4-3. Every time he scored by running around the back of my defence and just passed to a striker waiting in front of goal and tapped it in. I threw the control across the room kicked the play station and told him to shove pro evo up his ***. I hate this game. I can't work it out at all and I consider myself a pretty darn good all round gamer. My bro can't beat me at any game but this one and NBA live, but I've never really play NBA live and he used to play it at least 4 - 5 hours a day.

patrick hurley
19-01-2007, 10:52
How about Irish!!

Dia Guit,
Ca bhfuil tu ag caint le duetch,Caint as bearla(english)ma se do hola.
Pog mo liathroidoi

Brunster
31-01-2007, 10:59
jowie mate I am having the same problems as you are. Just remember that using R1 makes the players lighter and when u are dribbling let go of R1 and use L1 or just the Dpad and if he comes at you at pace just turn to face the other direction. It helps to play with a team that has a great passing game, I suggest you try France. France also plays with 2 DMFs so that helps too. Play a fast passing game and become a good finisher (easy with Henry). You will beat him.

AbaraiSooney
28-11-2009, 14:26
nice share...
i like it..
keep posting..
:D

The Commish
01-12-2009, 17:04
What will help with defending is, if you have attacking full backs, forexample Ramos of Real Madrid, make sure you turn his attacking card off, which will stop him venturing forward thus resulting in you being one defender short should you get counter attacked quickly. Trust me it works!

wayne1269
12-12-2009, 05:10
i always try 2 push the cpu out the wings as my ML team has to huge centrebacks n i just nod it out
defensive mids work well too i always play 2 with 1 attacking mid n 2 quick forwards and i never let my
left and right backs go up the wing either as it leaves u to vulnerable at the back

Jalsiero93
22-12-2009, 13:45
I noticed when you're chasing an attacker along the outside of the box, if you are within arms reach of him, the AI will always do a dragback then cross it in. If you watch the player closely you will see a slight hiccup in his animations. This is him switching off sprint. At that time you anticipate his cutback and easily snatch the ball as he turns around.

I noticed that too

Jalsiero93
22-12-2009, 13:46
What will help with defending is, if you have attacking full backs, forexample Ramos of Real Madrid, make sure you turn his attacking card off, which will stop him venturing forward thus resulting in you being one defender short should you get counter attacked quickly. Trust me it works!

Destroys the point of ramos getting forward though

Adwait
28-12-2009, 12:47
Play PES 2009 with frnds on the ps2. Found 2 annoying bugs while defending.

1.If ur opponent goes down the wing and crosses from near the corner flag area to the far post area. 90% of the time the forward will tower over your defender to head in. ex. Drogba over vidic ferdinand evra....

2.similarly opponent runs down the wing towards the by line n then cuts back facing his own goal, passes to a midfielder standing near the edge of the box. Hits 1st time and again scores.

If i try to block the cross and prevent situation 1 then he reverts to 2. and if i try to defend for 2 he does 1! very very irritating.

I've tried playing big defenders, like brown/o'shea/evans as full backs with ferdinand and vidic central. this helps a little with 1

But with 2 i haven't found a solution!! Tried man marking the midfielders, weird dmf positions, all combinations of backline and offside. used "pressure" tactic...
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

tanimr2002
11-01-2010, 18:29
gr8 share..thnx

Cybertooth
17-01-2010, 05:25
I clear most crosses that come into the box, I just press the square button(PS3) to clear it.

If I think my opponent is going to square it instead of crossing it, I just try and read his cut back and pass. I get it off the attacker most of the time, I slow down when he is in the position to cut it back so I can block out the pass.

redleciester
18-01-2010, 20:37
I really need to be shown how to defend effectively. I have no problems with scoring (Scores 3 min. goals on friendly matches – 5 stars level), however I end-up by loosing the game 4-3. I use 3-4-3 (With 2 Midfielders In front the defenders and 2 behind the 3 Forward).
I keep on using the [] X defending style where I call for second defender to assist. This creates an opening for another striker to be one-to-one with the goalkeeper.

Any clues?

HAve the best defenders and stay back. Find out when to commit defenders forward. It's a gambling thing. If there is a defender in front of a striker he potentially still has work to do before he can shoot, so wait until he is closer, don't commit too soon.

Check this blog for picking the best defenders.

http://theproshow.co.uk/blog/?cat=26

joner204
20-01-2010, 11:17
prseeing with 2 players works in midfield

disectur
11-02-2010, 18:50
Thanks for the tips. im going to put them to test tonight. i'll try the european cup...since AI controlled teams always plays tougher in tournaments.

box2boxmf
19-02-2010, 03:43
In PES 2009 I find it hard for the defenders to deal with the chipped through pass near the goal. Only 1 time in 10 will my defender automatically beat the forward to the ball. Doesn't matter if I have control of the player or not. How do you defend against this?

muscularmatt
20-02-2010, 02:22
Well I almost always go for a flat back four and a holding midifielder, and seem to be able to defend fine.

KeeganJacobs
27-02-2010, 19:00
Definitely use a defensive midfielder who doesn't take part in the attacks. He stays in front of the defence and puts the attacking players from the opposite team under pressure. Try to forse the opposing players to search up the wings, and then let your full back do the work. If he passes your full back, there are still your 2 centre backs. If the attacker plays the ball in the air, keep cool, anticipate and go for the header. If he passes your centre-back, use your other centre-back to set him under pressure, and make your keeper come out. Nearly impossible to score :D

It's all about defending in zone. Don't follow the attacker when he runs from the right to the left for exemple. Just stay cool. The player which is the nearest to the attacker sets him under pressure. If he comes close to goal area, go for it. Pressing X helps a lot. Just go straight to the attacker, and steal the bal. Timing is very important. Play agressive, and put the opposite team under pressure. Use the zone-press strategie!! Every player is put under pressure. Your attackers has to defend as well. Football is a team-sport.

Just don't make 'uncontroled' moves. Tackle correctly, and only when it's necessary. It's useless to give away cheap free-kicks when playing against England for exemple. Beckham is a serieus threat :D. When playing against speady attackers, like Owen, make a quick decision. If he's one-on-one with a defender, tackle him, best the furthest away from the goal. Correctly or not, isn't important. Stop him.
Don't give him the chance to go one-on-one with the goalie. Brilliant strikers put the ball in the net most of the time, so... When stopping an attacker (in a flagrant way) far enough from the goal, you hardly ever get a red card. And that is what it's all about: don't get a man sent off.

I can defend really well I would say, and without making many fouls. I just play agressive, put the whole opposite team under pressure. Now playing the International League on the Extreme Level with Bulgaria, and only took 4 yellow and 2 red cards in 24 games. Defending, it's an art :D

what are you team sliders set on ? I take it you have high pressure and compactness ? DO you use SET PLAYS ( 4 plays ) ?

sweetmusicman
19-03-2010, 07:42
Ja ich spreche gut Deutch. Ich habe nur 1 Jahr mit Deutch gehabt aber ich kann sehr gut Deutch schreiben un sprechen. Ich habe viele Freunde in die süd Deutchland. Nein ich spreche nicht Französisch. Wir haben es nicht gelernt das in die Schule. Ich kann nur: merci, und au revoair. ich weist auf es ist recht aber ich kan nur es sagen. Ich habe niemals auf Frankreich gewesen, aber ich habe ein gang auf Deutchland gewesen, in Stuttgart.

Amazing-I don't understand German but with my Afrikaans as background I can actually understand what you are saying. Here is my version of your German in English.

Please tell how accurate it is;
"Yes, I speak good German. I had German as subject for one year that is why I can write and speak German this good. I have allot of Friends in Germany. And No, I don't speak French. Where did you learn to speak German, in school? I haven't been to France but manage to come close at Stuttgart border..