View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:59   #27
The Prowler (AKA Rosemary's Killer, 1981)

Cast

Lawrence Tierney, Farley Granger

Plot (No Spoilers)

A masked killer, wearing World War II U.S. Army fatigues, stalks a small New Jersey town bent on reliving a 35-year-old double murder by focusing on a group of college kids holding an annual Spring Dance.

Thoughts

While not quite as good as My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler is a very efficient slasher from the 'Golden Age' of the genre with a strong premise, killer (with a great look), and setting. With Tom Savini supplying effects the deaths are inevitably excellent, including a brilliant head explosion, the execution of which is explored among the extensive extras on the DVD. Savini and director Joseph Zito would reteam for Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, arguably the third in the 'holy trinity' of great 80s slashers alongside The Prowler and My Bloody Valentine.

DVD Availability

US Blue Underground DVD or their region-free Blu-ray.

Similar watching

My Bloody Valentine (Both), Friday the 13th Parts III and IV, Nightmare

Trailer

"Now I absolutely despise the murderer Herzog. I tell him to his face that I want to see him perish like the llama he executed. He should be thrown to the crocodiles alive! An anaconda should throttle him slowly! The sting of a deadly spider should paralyze him! His brain should burst from the bite of the most poisonous of all snakes! Panthers shouldn't slit his throat open with their claws, that would be too good for him! No. Big red ants should piss in his eyes, eat his balls, penetrate his asshole, and eat his guts! He should get the plague! Syphilis! Malaria! Yellow fever! Leprosy! In vain. The more I wish the most horrible of deaths on him and treat him like the scum of the earth that he is, the less I can get rid of him!" - Kinski on Herzog
BarnDoor is offline   Reply With Quote