PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
User Tag List

Old 04-02-2013, 00:44   #1
Dundon's
W.G.P
  • Supports: Ozil's Eyes
  • PSN: Maragenie10

Dundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung out

Overclocking your PC (Q&A)

I'm only getting into this side of the PC world now but imagine that there's more than me out there trying to learn the art of OC.

Question:

I've installed Core Temp, Aida64 and CPUID CPU-Z, on full load my i5 3570k is hitting a 55 average and the voltage is maxing @1.05v and @.94v on idle.

Going by what I've read I'm in a safe place now to drive on and ramp up the Overclock. My question is how much would you think I could go without having to play with the voltage? They recommend not going about 1.3v but I'd prefer to stay well clear of that number and maybe run just under 1.19v on a full load.

There's a default OC in the BIOS to go 4.4 but I read it's better to tweak it manually.

If what I'm saying doesn't make much sense it's because I'm a total nOOb at this.

Edit: Went ahead and chanced 4.4, after 1 hour stress test

Would this be considered safe?

"Liverpool,she is the prostitute to relax Sahin while we tried to get a good wife as simple as that." Meyyappan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dundon's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35   #2
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

What software are you stress testing with? Some people say 24 hours of stress is necessary, some say 12, some say 8.....I'd try 4-5 and be happy enough with that. Not only for temperatures but to test the voltage.

Speaking of voltage, I would expect 1.2 to give 4.6Ghz. I'd be happy with 4.4Ghz and an appropriate voltage which seems to be what you're getting. Try to stay under 75 degrees on that processor. Under 70 is even better but your temperatures look fine based on that 1 hour stress test.

All in all, looks like things are good for you.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59   #3
Dundon's
W.G.P

Dundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung out

Nice one, the program is called Aida64, it's not a free one so I'm using the 30 day trial version. Only picked that one because some of the Asus "experts" suggested that the likes of Prime95 weren't built to test the IB chips and that this one was and therefore wouldn't damage my chip.

I'll stress her a lil more later on but I don't like the 100% load idea considering I'll most likely never reach that, or so I hear.

"Liverpool,she is the prostitute to relax Sahin while we tried to get a good wife as simple as that." Meyyappan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:05   #4
Makavelian
  • Supports: Manchester United
  • PSN: Makavelian5408

Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.

I've got AMD 965 (125 watt) from a few years ago, but the problem I have when increasing the CPU multiplier is that I lose the windows power saving functions if I go past x18.5. Most of the time I just have my CPU set to about 2.6ghz apart from the odd demanding CPU game or when converting video files. I think I read it's a safety function when you go to a certain point with the multiplier that you lose the power saving ability. The only way I can get to 4ghz while still having power saving options is by increasing the Front side bus. It's far from stable though when stressing. I'm sure it's down to me not sure which voltages to set for the North and South bridge.
The CPU default volt is 1.38 and the RAM's is 1.8. Increased the RAM volt a bit because the FSB increases the frequency as well.
Set the FSB then to 216 with a x18.5 multiplyer to hit 4ghz and when using the Intel burn in stress test I blue screened after about40 seconds:/

Any advise? ( the mobo is a ASUS M3A79-T DELUXE

I can only get it fully stable at 3.8
(this image is from a while ago but everything is the same on my PC apart from I got rid of one of my GPU's because it was not needed)

Makavelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 14:26   #5
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Mak, forget going 4Ghz and over on that chip - not much point in trying. I'm stuck at 3.8 on my i7 920 but, as it happens, performance on my chip is very close to the one Dundon's just bought when his is at around 4.4. The real threshold to clear for gaming is 3Ghz and you're well beyond it already.

Some chips simply won't overclock beyond a particular point, my 920 will go to 4Ghz but has horrible lines across the display.
Old 04-02-2013, 15:21   #6
Dundon's
W.G.P

Just doing another stress test now and it's a lot cooler, max temp after 20mins is 66. It must be mentioned that the fire in the room was blazing last night and now there's none lighting, but I think I'm well safe. Not even remotely tempted to go 4.5Mhz.

Old 04-02-2013, 15:54   #7
Makavelian

Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Makavelian is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.

Crank open all the windows and doors and let the gust flow through your house
Old 04-02-2013, 16:41   #8
Dundon's
W.G.P

1 hour 36 minutes into the stress test and 1 core maxed at 68 the others at 64, on average they're running in the mid 50's on 100% load. Core Voltage never above 1.15v

I'll give it another hour or so but I think it's done.

Old 04-02-2013, 16:46   #9
Makavelian

Take advantage of that cold weather. When it's summer and humid, temps are a lot higher.

What temps do you guys idle at in high performance settings on your Intel CPU's?

Mine is around 33 degrees Celsius and never goes over 50 when clocked at 3.8 (1.4 volts) When stressed. Could get much better temps but the fans on either side of my radiator are on the lowest setting's so they never make a noise.
Old 04-02-2013, 17:24   #10
Dundon's
W.G.P

My 4 CPU cores idle between 16-20 and @.95v.

I used the offset option in the BIOS so that the voltage only uses what's needed rather than fixed.

As long as dSweey likes my settings they're good enough for me, I hadn't a clue up until last night what I was doing or looking for but after spending a few hours researching I finally got up the courage to take it on. Was nervous as the system is brand new and the last thing I wanted was a few scares.

Just happy I didn't stick on the stock cooler, that would of been a spanner in the works. By the looks of things I wouldn't have to upgrade it either anytime soon.

Old 04-02-2013, 17:37   #11
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundon's View Post
dSweey
Who's he then?

The first time I overclocked, the one thing I made sure of knowing was maximum voltages. Blowing your lovely components (mainly CPU) off the bat was the one thing I worried about. In most cases, the computer will turn off if it gets too hot. Its the same way I had a Radeon HD 5850 which would artifact and then crash the system in Devil May Cry 4 a few years ago. It took me a few crashes until I had the sense to think "temperature!" - the card's fan was set to auto but it wouldn't speed up enough to dissipate heat at high load, resulting in temperatures of over 100 degrees before it would finally shut itself off.

Speaking of which, once you get to graphics card overlocking (which isn't strictly necessary if you buy a pre-overclocked model - the third party ones that cost more) you want to use MSI Afterburner and stress with MSI Kombustor or something similar. MSI Afterburner allows you to set specific fan speeds at certain temperatures so that you can find a happy medium between card heat and fan noise when certain games have the card at full load for lengthy periods.
Old 04-02-2013, 17:42   #12
Makavelian

@Dundon's
Yeah, its like the cool and quiet option for AMD. I like to set using Windows power management though.
Gotta keep my eye on that electricity bill.
Old 04-02-2013, 23:46   #13
Dundon's
W.G.P

I'm getting crazy electricity bills, hopefully this new PC is cheaper than the last one, I'd imagine it will be, the last PC was yonks old.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:20   #14
Dundon's
W.G.P

@Sweey

What voltage you're using to get your 4.4mhz OC on the i7 4770k and also what are your idle and full load temps?

At the moment I've one finger on the trigger for the Corsair H100i because I'm reading everywhere that these Haswells run as hot as a mother fucker and I want at least an OC similar to yours, though I'm reading about people pulling 4.8mhz out of them without getting into any insane watercooling. That all said I'd take 4.5mhz @1.25v all day long if it meant low temps all round. I just don't want the bloodly thing hitting past 80 degrees on full load.

I thank you.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:33   #15
Sweey
*RETIRED*

@Dundon's

The first thing you want to do is forget about 4.8Ghz completely. It isn't heat that is going to be your limiting factor, it'll be the chip lottery. My chip simply will not do 4.5Ghz under any circumstances and it isn't a heat or voltage issue. I'm running at 1.248V and could probably lower it a bit for 4.4 but don't want to fiddle around further having run into various issues getting a stable 4.4.

My motherboard acknowledged I had the processor speed set to 4.4Ghz but was reporting 3.8Ghz at POST which, although perhaps incorrect as CPU-Z would report 4.4Ghz, left me dissatisfied and ultimately led to my motherboard refusing to boot until I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in again. There are various different ways to get to 4.4Ghz as well and I finally settled on the one I am happiest with.

My idle temps are 24-27 degrees. I can't remember the load temperatures at present but I remember being more than happy.