PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 02-05-2015, 21:12   #1
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Building my first PC

Please understand that I'm not sure at this point if I'm gonna build one, buy one, or even get one. This is merely testing the waters, and gathering info before making my decision.

I've been searching for parts in the last couple of days (I often do that, just for fun. I like this kind of things. Don't judge me alright?), but before posting here my findings I want to ask some questions.

- How is it really like to build a computer? I mean, it's just conecting things and screwing others, nothing more?

- How is the actual building, i.e., how do one attach the parts to the case? For example, motherboards come in all sizes and shapes (I think). Is there a typical method for this?

- Will I have to buy cables separately?

- How do I know if stuff will fit my case? Is a good case really that important? And how does one connect the case USB/etc ports to the motherboard? More cables?

And that's about it. For now.

I've always liked computers, both hardware and software. One of the main reasons for me to build a PC would be for pure enjoyment of building it and running something built by me. I don't like to ask other people to do stuff I can, or at least think I can. I've installed an SSD in my current laptop after the default HDD got defective, and it was easy. Re-installing Windows was one of the biggest problems I've ever encountered, but I found a way to overcome it. Giving this a 5/10 in difficulty, how much would the whole "build a computer" thing score?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 21:55   #2
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Join Date: Jan 2004
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore
  • Posts: 28,000

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
- How is it really like to build a computer? I mean, it's just conecting things and screwing others, nothing more?
Yes, connecting, screwing, slotting. You have to make sure every component is correctly plugged into the power supply. The sort of stuff you would expect. It may seem daunting at first but a lot of it is common sense - a graphics card slots into a PCI-E slot on a motherboard and requires power from the PSU via particular cables - the connectors of which are on the graphics card anyway.

Quote:
- How is the actual building, i.e., how do one attach the parts to the case? For example, motherboards come in all sizes and shapes (I think). Is there a typical method for this?
There are standard sizes and formats to motherboards. Cases are made to match these standards so you match a motherboard specification to a case which, to be honest, you won't really need to think about.

[QUOTE]Will I have to buy cables separately?[QUOTE]

It depends on what cables the motherboard is supplied with. You would mose likely need to buy a SATA data cable to connect the motherboard to a hard drive/SSD. A power supply comes with all of its own cables, including SATA power cables.

Quote:
How do I know if stuff will fit my case? Is a good case really that important? And how does one connect the case USB/etc ports to the motherboard? More cables?
A good case is important for cooling and having enough space for components to "breathe", plus airflow considerations. A case will have, for example, a maximum graphics card length that it can accomodate which can be found via Google, on the manufacturer's website and/or a retailer's website. Take my case, an Antec 1100. A big case but there are much bigger ones too. I've got numerous drives, a sound card, a graphics card, a big heatsink (the stock Intel one is fine if you don't overclock the processor), a couple of additional fans and more than enough room plus great temperature control. Trust me, if you go down the route of doing this you'll spend hours upon hours picking the right components based on reviews and will get a feel for whether a case or other component is inadequate.

It is difficult to give it a rating seeing as how everyone is different but if you've successfully switched over a drive, you will already have dealt with its SATA power and data cables. In essence, all components work in that fashion - aside from drives, they slot into the motherboard and connect the power (except with RAM which needs no power). The hardest thing to install is usually a heatsink (the thing that sits on top of the processor to cool it and can be heavy. If you install it incorrectly you'd crush the processor but to be honest, you won't be installing it incorrectly as you'll make sure to screw everything in tightly. Graphics cards can sometimes take a bit of force to seat in their PCI-E slots.

@Dundon's recently started building his own PCs a year or two ago and is loving it. He'll no doubt give you some good advice seeing as how he got into it so recently. I learnt by watching my dad do it - and helping him - over the last 20 years or so.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 22:20   #3
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
A good case is important for cooling and having enough space for components to "breathe", plus airflow considerations. A case will have, for example, a maximum graphics card length that it can accomodate.
I'm aware of this. So you say that the only restriction is the GPU size, the rest will more than probably fit without any major issues?

Quote:
... a big heatsink (the stock Intel one is fine if you don't overclock the processor), a couple of additional fans and more than enough room plus great temperature control. Trust me, if you go down the route of doing this you'll spend hours upon hours picking the right components based on reviews and will get a feel for whether a case or other component is inadequate.
I will not overclock anything (more on that later), so I don't need a heatsink at all? Intel processors already bring one included?

Quote:
if you've successfully switched over a drive, you will already have dealt with its SATA power and data cables.
Ermmm... no. As I said it was in a laptop, just plug-and-play This brings another question: everything needs to be connected to the PSU individually? Or the motherboard distributes the power to some of the parts?

Quote:
@Dundon's recently started building his own PCs a year or two ago and is loving it. He'll no doubt give you some good advice seeing as how he got into it so recently. I learnt by watching my dad do it - and helping him - over the last 20 years or so.
Feel free to post anything Dundon's, can't get too much help.

As for my reasearch... it was (I believe) quite deep. Before posting the parts I found more appealing I'll give you an idea of what I'd use the PC for:

- Matlab and SolidWorks, for university, plus 3D Modelling with Zmodeler or similar. My laptop runs them fine, so any desktop will as well.
- Interweb surfing.
- Shitloads of music.
- Photoshop and Pinnacle Video editor. As for image editing nothing over the top, but regular. As for video editing nothing over the top, very small videos (PES mostly), and less often.
- Gaming. Quite a bit. I tend to prefer older games, but max them out for "aaaaahhhhhh....." purposes. The list is as follows, with scores out of 10, 10 being the most, for time spent playing:
Spoiler: 
My intents for the PC would be to last at least 5 years as is, running pretty much everything at least in medium @ 1920x1080 (probably less). I'll give you my findings after I finish beating Chelsea in PES2015
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 23:07   #4
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Join Date: Jan 2004
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore
  • Posts: 28,000

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
I'm aware of this. So you say that the only restriction is the GPU size, the rest will more than probably fit without any major issues?
Pretty much, as long as you go for a mid-tower or full tower case.

Quote:
I will not overclock anything (more on that later), so I don't need a heatsink at all? Intel processors already bring one included?
Just the standard Intel heatsink if you don't overclock but you then have to make sure you buy the retail version of the Intel processor and not the OEM version - the latter is the processor only, no heatsink at all. If you tried to boot that without any heatsink at all, it would die.

Quote:
Ermmm... no. As I said it was in a laptop, just plug-and-play This brings another question: everything needs to be connected to the PSU individually? Or the motherboard distributes the power to some of the parts?
Connected individually. As you'll be fitting one component at a time, you'll just connect the power cables as you go for the most part.

Quote:
As for my reasearch... it was (I believe) quite deep. Before posting the parts I found more appealing I'll give you an idea of what I'd use the PC for:

- Matlab and SolidWorks, for university, plus 3D Modelling with Zmodeler or similar. My laptop runs them fine, so any desktop will as well.
- Interweb surfing.
- Shitloads of music.
- Photoshop and Pinnacle Video editor. As for image editing nothing over the top, but regular. As for video editing nothing over the top, very small videos (PES mostly), and less often.
- Gaming. Quite a bit. I tend to prefer older games, but max them out for "aaaaahhhhhh....." purposes. The list is as follows, with scores out of 10, 10 being the most, for time spent playing:
Spoiler: 
My intents for the PC would be to last at least 5 years as is, running pretty much everything at least in medium @ 1920x1080 (probably less). I'll give you my findings after I finish beating Chelsea in PES2015
If you don't overclock, be sure to go for a processor that runs at 3.8Ghz or more at stock speeds to maximise performance.

GTA V is rather demanding but the processor will be fine. You'll want a good graphics card - A Geforce GTX 970 (despite the poor performance when more than 3.5GB VRAM is being used) or Radeon R9 290 is enough for good settings at 1080p; a GTX 980 would be a waste and an R9 290X might be as well - they would max out GTA V but few other games would need their extra performance to do that. It also depends on your potential budget of course, the 980 and 290X would give peace of mind but are more geared to a higher resolution.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 23:59   #5
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
If you don't overclock, be sure to go for a processor that runs at 3.8Ghz or more at stock speeds to maximise performance.

GTA V is rather demanding but the processor will be fine. You'll want a good graphics card - A Geforce GTX 970 (despite the poor performance when more than 3.5GB VRAM is being used) or Radeon R9 290 is enough for good settings at 1080p; a GTX 980 would be a waste and an R9 290X might be as well - they would max out GTA V but few other games would need their extra performance to do that. It also depends on your potential budget of course, the 980 and 290X would give peace of mind but are more geared to a higher resolution.
Wait... I don't want to run GTA V maxed out. I said older games, like TDU, allow me to max them out. Regarding the new I prefer FPS to high quality graphics, while maintaining both (I prefer 45fps in low/mids than 25 in mids/high, for most cases). Anyway, and this will go against your ideas...

CPU: i5 4440 3.1GHz
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G C2
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X 1600MHz 2x4GB DDR3
GPU: GTX750Ti STRIX 2GB OC or ASUS R9 270 DirectCU II OC 2GB or VTX3D R9 270X 2GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 2.5" SATA III 750GB
SSD: Crucial BX100 120GB
Optical: LiteON DS-8ABSH
PSU: XFX TS 650W 80Plus Gold

This is what I have so far. Looking at this, how much would you say it costs? (Just to have an idea of the price differences).

Regarding the choices, this is what I know:
- CPU only from Intel
- GPU preferably from Nvidia
- SSD is that one, I have a similar one in my laptop and I couldn't ask for more.
- Optical drive is that one.
- PSU is said to be rather good, power yet to be calculated to see if it's enough.
- RAM is that one, more than enough.

And I have no idea about...
- Motherboards. I've read that one is nice, but I know nothing about them in general.
- GPUs in price/performance ratio. Once again give your ideas about their price.
- What's missing?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rebelinho; 03-05-2015 at 00:34.. Reason: Edited the PSU and HDD
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 00:58   #6
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Join Date: Jan 2004
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore
  • Posts: 28,000

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
Wait... I don't want to run GTA V maxed out. I said older games, like TDU, allow me to max them out. Regarding the new I prefer FPS to high quality graphics, while maintaining both (I prefer 45fps in low/mids than 25 in mids/high, for most cases). Anyway, and this will go against your ideas...

CPU: i5 4440 3.1GHz
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G C2
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X 1600MHz 2x4GB DDR3
GPU: GTX750Ti STRIX 2GB OC or ASUS R9 270 DirectCU II OC 2GB or VTX3D R9 270X 2GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 2.5" SATA III 750GB
SSD: Crucial BX100 120GB
Optical: LiteON DS-8ABSH
PSU: XFX TS 650W 80Plus Gold

This is what I have so far. Looking at this, how much would you say it costs? (Just to have an idea of the price differences).

Regarding the choices, this is what I know:
- CPU only from Intel
- GPU preferably from Nvidia
- SSD is that one, I have a similar one in my laptop and I couldn't ask for more.
- Optical drive is that one.
- PSU is said to be rather good, power yet to be calculated to see if it's enough.
- RAM is that one, more than enough.

And I have no idea about...
- Motherboards. I've read that one is nice, but I know nothing about them in general.
- GPUs in price/performance ratio. Once again give your ideas about their price.
- What's missing?
I didn't say you wanted to run GTA V maxed out, I said you shouldn't be thinking of a GTX 980 or R9 290X when I mentioned a GTX 970 or R9 290.

CPU - you could get by with that but an overclock to ~3.8Ghz (if you have the 4440K) with the purchase and installation of a good heatsink or a faster i5 with a higher clock speed would be advised.

GPU - this will be the bottleneck in your system. I'd suggest you go for an R9 280 (sits below the 280X, 290 and 290X so isn't at the very high end) or Nvidia equivalent to cover your bases. You could probably get by with an R9 270 or Nvidia equivalent but what happens if a new, demanding game comes out which requires more than 2GB VRAM?

Motherboards - you can only pick this after you know which processor you are getting. The i5 4440 is a Socket 1150 processor so if you insist on getting that, you will need a motherboard that is compatible with Socket 1150. It should automatically be designed for dual channel RAM and have a PCI-E x16 slot for your GPU. You won't need anything special beyond that as you don't intend to overclock or use lots of other components (additional cards, for example). I also doubt you'll specifically need 8 USB ports as opposed to, say, 4 or 6. Just find one with good reviews and you'll generally be fine.

Everything else is fine.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:29   #7
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
I didn't say you wanted to run GTA V maxed out, I said you shouldn't be thinking of a GTX 980 or R9 290X when I mentioned a GTX 970 or R9 290.

CPU - you could get by with that but an overclock to ~3.8Ghz (if you have the 4440K) with the purchase and installation of a good heatsink or a faster i5 with a higher clock speed would be advised.

GPU - this will be the bottleneck in your system. I'd suggest you go for an R9 280 (sits below the 280X, 290 and 290X so isn't at the very high end) or Nvidia equivalent to cover your bases. You could probably get by with an R9 270 or Nvidia equivalent but what happens if a new, demanding game comes out which requires more than 2GB VRAM?

Motherboards - you can only pick this after you know which processor you are getting. The i5 4440 is a Socket 1150 processor so if you insist on getting that, you will need a motherboard that is compatible with Socket 1150. It should automatically be designed for dual channel RAM and have a PCI-E x16 slot for your GPU. You won't need anything special beyond that as you don't intend to overclock or use lots of other components (additional cards, for example). I also doubt you'll specifically need 8 USB ports as opposed to, say, 4 or 6. Just find one with good reviews and you'll generally be fine.

Everything else is fine.
I got your point, just wanted to make myself perfectly clear.

CPU - I honestly think a standard 4440 (not 4440k) will suffice. Price would be around 190€, I can get the 4460 3.2GHz for 196€ but I don't think it would make much of a difference. Then there is the 4590 3.3GHZ for 220€, but that would be over my ideal spending.

GPU - From the ones I said it seems like the best is the VTX3D R9 270X 2GB, and it would go for 170€, while the other two would be 180€. I too got a bit put off by the 2GB, but from my readings these should be good, while worse than the 4440.

Searched a bit more and I can get a MSI GTX960 Armor OC 2GB for 200€ or a VTX3D R9 280 X-Edition 3GB for 185€, and that's it. No more options, or they are worse/more expensive.

About the motherboards... would a ASUS H81M suffice? (if I choose the 4440 or 4460)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:20   #8
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Join Date: Jan 2004
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore
  • Posts: 28,000

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
I got your point, just wanted to make myself perfectly clear.

CPU - I honestly think a standard 4440 (not 4440k) will suffice. Price would be around 190€, I can get the 4460 3.2GHz for 196€ but I don't think it would make much of a difference. Then there is the 4590 3.3GHZ for 220€, but that would be over my ideal spending.

GPU - From the ones I said it seems like the best is the VTX3D R9 270X 2GB, and it would go for 170€, while the other two would be 180€. I too got a bit put off by the 2GB, but from my readings these should be good, while worse than the 4440.

Searched a bit more and I can get a MSI GTX960 Armor OC 2GB for 200€ or a VTX3D R9 280 X-Edition 3GB for 185€, and that's it. No more options, or they are worse/more expensive.

About the motherboards... would a ASUS H81M suffice? (if I choose the 4440 or 4460)
When gaming, there is a huge difference between 3.1Ghz and 4Ghz. It won't be apparant in the older games (covering the majority of your gaming) but F1 2015 appears to require a minimum of a 3.16Ghz processor: http://www.game-debate.com/news/?new...20Requirements - you can turn the graphics down all you like, the CPU is going to be flat out performing the calculations, probably due to poor optimisation by Codemasters. As time goes by, this issue is only going to become worse for you so the future-proofing of a 4440 is questionable. As long as you know this when buying, that's fine.

GPU: I don't rate VTX3D so be careful if buying one of their cards - perhaps best to read reviews. You don't have great options here given your price range.

Motherboard: An ASUS H81M should be fine but note that it is micro ATX and read this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...rds-cases.html
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:23   #9
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
When gaming, there is a huge difference between 3.1Ghz and 4Ghz. It won't be apparant in the older games (covering the majority of your gaming) but F1 2015 appears to require a minimum of a 3.16Ghz processor: http://www.game-debate.com/news/?new...20Requirements - you can turn the graphics down all you like, the CPU is going to be flat out performing the calculations, probably due to poor optimisation by Codemasters. As time goes by, this issue is only going to become worse for you so the future-proofing of a 4440 is questionable. As long as you know this when buying, that's fine.
I'm well aware that any choice I may make will affect me over a long period of time, but I wont be spending an absolute fortune in a 4GHz processor when the 4440 will suffice for me. And regarding the F1 2015 (and any other game for that matter), if it can't be run, fine. I'm perfectly well with the ones I already have, + GTR2 if needed, etc. But that's another matter.

Quote:
GPU: I don't rate VTX3D so be careful if buying one of their cards - perhaps best to read reviews. You don't have great options here given your price range.
In amazon (here) it is well rated, and in overall the VTX3D brands seems well credited. Won't be losing my sleep over this.

The best one of the pack is clearly this R9 280, and the price is very good as well. My choice is pretty much made regarding this. Just one more thing: driver support in AMD is anything similar to Nvidia? I've heard drivers for AMD cards are usualy quite bad...

Quote:
Motherboard: An ASUS H81M should be fine but note that it is micro ATX and read this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...rds-cases.html
There are a few different H81M motherboards, I'll look into it. But from what I understand a micro ATX motherboard won't fit an ATX mid tower?

Edit: Just checked and all of the H81M available are micro ATX.

Got a few more parts. Case would be a Nox Raven (one frontal 120mm fan included) for 30€ plus a 120mm Coolermaster JetFlo for 13€. Full list is looking something like...

CPU: i5 4440 3.1GHz (190€)
Motherboard: ASUS H81M (60€)
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X 1600MHz 2x4GB DDR3 (66€)
GPU: VTX3D R9 280 X-Edition 3GB (185€)
HDD: Western Digital Black 2.5" SATA III 750GB (70€)
SSD: Crucial BX100 120GB (70€)
Optical: LiteON DS-8ABSH (17€)
PSU: XFX TS 650W 80Plus Gold (110€)
Case: Nox Raven (30€)
Fans: case default + Coolermaster JetFlo 120mm (13€)

Total of 811€. Missing a wifi adapter, a few cables, and I thinks that's it.

To reduce the cost I could go with a 1TB 3.5" HDD (58€) and/or a 550W PSU (65€). Would these make too much of a difference or can I downgrade to them safely?

btw, are you watching the fight?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rebelinho; 03-05-2015 at 05:29.. Reason: about the motherboards
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:34   #10
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Join Date: Jan 2004
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore
  • Posts: 28,000

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
I'm well aware that any choice I may make will affect me over a long period of time, but I wont be spending an absolute fortune in a 4GHz processor when the 4440 will suffice for me. And regarding the F1 2015 (and any other game for that matter), if it can't be run, fine. I'm perfectly well with the ones I already have, + GTR2 if needed, etc. But that's another matter.



In amazon (here) it is well rated, and in overall the VTX3D brands seems well credited. Won't be losing my sleep over this.

The best one of the pack is clearly this R9 280, and the price is very good as well. My choice is pretty much made regarding this. Just one more thing: driver support in AMD is anything similar to Nvidia? I've heard drivers for AMD cards are usualy quite bad...



There are a few different H81M motherboards, I'll look into it. But from what I understand a micro ATX motherboards won't fit an ATX mid tower?

Got a few more parts. Case would be a Nox Raven (one frontal 120mm fan included) for 30€ plus a 120mm Coolermaster JetFlo for 13€. Full list is looking something like...

CPU: i5 4440 3.1GHz (190€)
Motherboard: ASUS H81M (60€)
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws X 1600MHz 2x4GB DDR3 (66€)
GPU: VTX3D R9 280 X-Edition 3GB (185€)
HDD: Western Digital Black 2.5" SATA III 750GB (70€)
SSD: Crucial BX100 120GB (70€)
Optical: LiteON DS-8ABSH (17€)
PSU: XFX TS 650W 80Plus Gold (110€)
Case: Nox Raven (30€)
Fans: case default + Coolermaster JetFlo 120mm (13€)

Total of 811€. Missing a wifi adapter, a few cables, and I thinks that's it.

To reduce the cost I could go with a 1TB 3.5" HDD (58€) and/or a 550W PSU (65€). Would these make too much of a difference or can I downgrade to them safely?

btw, are you watching the fight?
A standard full ATX would fit in a mid tower so a micro ATX definitely will. Just make sure the case has the required holes to screw the motherboard in - which I expect it will.

The 650W PSU will probably be overkill given the choice of GPU so 550W should be fine - just double check what people suggest for that card. I really wouldn't expect them to claim more than 550W is needed despite the card being a bit power hungry.

Yes I'm watching the fight

Nvidia drivers are just as bad as AMD ones.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47   #11
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
A standard full ATX would fit in a mid tower so a micro ATX definitely will. Just make sure the case has the required holes to screw the motherboard in - which I expect it will.

The 650W PSU will probably be overkill given the choice of GPU so 550W should be fine - just double check what people suggest for that card. I really wouldn't expect them to claim more than 550W is needed despite the card being a bit power hungry.

Yes I'm watching the fight

Nvidia drivers are just as bad as AMD ones.
When I saw the R9 280 asking for 200W when the GTX750 STRIX asks for around 65W... In the future the costs will be so much bigger...

In game-debate a similar card (this one) asks for a 500W PSU, so I might go with the XFX TS 550 80Plus Bronze.

About the motherboard, I'd buy it in the same store as the case (and a bunch of other stuff), so probably they can clarify any doubts I might have.

Regarding the fight, I have no idea how the points are given, but Manny has been much more aggressive than Floyd. The american swas against the ropes almost all the time.

And now he's celebrating... and the crowd cheering for Manny. Floyd really is a hated celebrity.

Nice display of sportmanship by Floyd in the end though.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:37   #12
Dundon's
W.G.P
Dundon's's Avatar
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Location: Hollywood
  • Supports: Ozil's Eyes
  • PSN: Maragenie10
  • Posts: 12,829

Dundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung out

Just reading back on the thread and Sweey has seemed to cover all your questions, I'd like to add though that recently I picked up a GTX 960 for the 2nd PC in the house and it's a truely great card for running games at 1080p, GTA V looks great on it.

Other advise is to try and buy a decent case, besides helping the general airflow you'll notice easier installation and way better cable management. And finally for the few extra pounds in it get at least a semi modular PSU, unless you want a nest of cables sitting at the bottom of your case.

Like Sweey mentioned I came into a thread just like this a year or two ago as a complete noob wanting to learn and ask the same questions you are right now and from then to now I like to think that I've pretty much mastered it. I literally knew sweet fuck all.

It's like building lego.
__________________
"A point in hand is bettter than three in bush" Meyyappan

"Liverpool,she is the prostitute to relax Sahin while we tried to get a good wife as simple as that." Meyyappan


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dundon's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:50   #13
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundon's View Post
Just reading back on the thread and Sweey has seemed to cover all your questions, I'd like to add though that recently I picked up a GTX 960 for the 2nd PC in the house and it's a truely great card for running games at 1080p, GTA V looks great on it.

Other advise is to try and buy a decent case, besides helping the general airflow you'll notice easier installation and way better cable management. And finally for the few extra pounds in it get at least a semi modular PSU, unless you want a nest of cables sitting at the bottom of your case.

Like Sweey mentioned I came into a thread just like this a year or two ago as a complete noob wanting to learn and ask the same questions you are right now and from then to now I like to think that I've pretty much mastered it. I literally knew sweet fuck all.

It's like building lego.
I like Lego.

About the cards, and after a thorough search, I think the MSI GTX960 Armor OC 2GB might be the best option. The thing is the 2GB size and 128 bit bus width of its memory might be short, compared to the 3GB and 384 bit width of the 15 cheaper R9 280. But in every video review the 960 outperforms the 280, so I guess the specs don't show everything. I really don't know which one to choose.

About the case it will be that one. I'll not spend more time searching for one. But I do have a question: leaving 1cm of room in each side of the case + plenty of space behind and in front will be enough to maintain the air circulating??

I don't mind cables, if it is properly done they won't trouble me much.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:12   #14
Dundon's
W.G.P
Dundon's's Avatar
  • Join Date: Mar 2004
  • Location: Hollywood
  • Supports: Ozil's Eyes
  • PSN: Maragenie10
  • Posts: 12,829

Dundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post
I like Lego.

I really don't know which one to choose.
Nvidia > AMD regards GPUs much like Intel > AMD regards CPUs.
__________________
"A point in hand is bettter than three in bush" Meyyappan

"Liverpool,she is the prostitute to relax Sahin while we tried to get a good wife as simple as that." Meyyappan


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dundon's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:25   #15
rebelinho
Moderator
rebelinho's Avatar
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: Portugal
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea
  • Posts: 4,444

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundon's View Post
Nvidia > AMD regards GPUs much like Intel > AMD regards CPUs.
So the 2GB memory won't be a problem in the future?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:23.

Not yet a member? Register now.

.