PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 15-02-2016, 17:26   #1
Jonno394
XLV
  • Supports: Birmingham City
  • PSN: jonno394

Jonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Thinking of building a retro/emulation device

Been feeling the urge for classic gaming recently, and playing roms on my PSP just doesn't scratch the itch. Want to play the classics on my HDTV, and the idea of plugging my PC in to my TV when lower power usage options exist just isn't an attractive one to me. I know the PC is likely the best route for doing this style of thing, but I'd rather have something much smaller and uses less electricity, as well as the added benefit that I can take it round the nieces.

Been digging around about Raspberry Pi and its contemporaries today and contemplating buying one (they're only around 30 for the basic circuit board and another 10 or so for a case) but wondering if anyone has any experience with a raspberry Pi or building a similar device. Raspberry Pi has a great piece of software called Retropie which is basically a nice emulation suite covering all sorts of emulators up to the N64.

Some people have recommended things like the Fire TV Stick, or a Roku or other "PCs on a stick" where you can sideload non-appstore apps on to it, so emulators. Others have recommended things like the HP Stream. Unsure what the best option will be.

I know @Dundons used to build his own arcade style machines, I'm assuming using MAME, that's a big step above what I want to do, but I'd love to do something like that one day once I own my own place!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jonno394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 21:08   #2
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

I have a 20GB collection of ROMs to play through MAME - all located on my PC
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 13:08   #3
Jonno394
XLV

Jonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Played some SNES and Genesis games via my PC through my TV last night. Managed to get to a graphical seeting I liked, but didn't like having to go back and forth between my sofa and PC to fiddle around, either I need a wireless mouse or a Raspberry Pi 2.

Reading in to setting up the Raspberry Pi 2 makes it seems complicated at times, but I have a week off in early March so might make it a little project to do. Thinking about buying a Wifi USB dongle for it because my router already has 4 wired connections and perhaps investing in a USB Snes controller or something.

Raspberry Pi costs 50, then the USB Wifi costs about 7 then maybe 12 on the controller, so a 60 project in total. I could then spend money buying custom cases for the thing though or getting someone to 3D print one, but that's a bit too faggy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16-02-2016, 18:42   #4
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno394 View Post
Played some SNES and Genesis games via my PC through my TV last night. Managed to get to a graphical seeting I liked, but didn't like having to go back and forth between my sofa and PC to fiddle around, either I need a wireless mouse or a Raspberry Pi 2.

Reading in to setting up the Raspberry Pi 2 makes it seems complicated at times, but I have a week off in early March so might make it a little project to do. Thinking about buying a Wifi USB dongle for it because my router already has 4 wired connections and perhaps investing in a USB Snes controller or something.

Raspberry Pi costs 50, then the USB Wifi costs about 7 then maybe 12 on the controller, so a 60 project in total. I could then spend money buying custom cases for the thing though or getting someone to 3D print one, but that's a bit too faggy...
Why not investigate setting the PC up so that you can control it with your smartphone? I'm not saying its an ideal solution but its worth mildly investigating. An interim solution at least.
Old 16-02-2016, 19:24   #5
Jonno394
XLV

I'm more concerned with my electricity bill. I know it's not a huge cost to run the PC for say 2 hours vs running a Pi for 2 hours, but every little helps!

Investigating running the emulators via Steam Big Picture mode or some other interface like that as teh former is easily controlled via controller and you can run all number of applications via it, even if they're not steam

Old 16-02-2016, 20:45   #6
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonno394 View Post
I'm more concerned with my electricity bill. I know it's not a huge cost to run the PC for say 2 hours vs running a Pi for 2 hours, but every little helps!
When did you start working at Tesco?

Quote:
Investigating running the emulators via Steam Big Picture mode or some other interface like that as teh former is easily controlled via controller and you can run all number of applications via it, even if they're not steam
Ah yes, good shout.