PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 05-09-2017, 11:00   #46
Ali
It is happening again
  • Supports: Bolton Wanderers
  • PSN: alistair26

Ali is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

I can see why they decided to air those episodes together...

Loved episode 17, including the Freddy scene in all it's typical Twin Peaks hilarity. Knew it was gonna be a special episode right after Cole's "not where it counts" line.

The finale however, I was not a fan of. I felt like I kept waiting for something to happen, some kind of resolution to the many plot lines left open throughout the season. But the finale didn't even acknowledge any of them. I was half expecting (wishing for) a "To be continued" message at the end, as the finale felt more like a hook for a new season (with the madness happening in the penultimate episde, which seems to be the modern trend), than a series finale.

Maybe my opinion will change on it over time... I dunno.

EDIT: Did we ever find out what the hell Laura whispered in Coop's ear? The last 2 episodes made a big deal of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 16:48   #47
Sweey
Administrator
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
EDIT: Did we ever find out what the hell Laura whispered in Coop's ear? The last 2 episodes made a big deal of it.
Nope.

Generally, if we had a question then we still have it because Lynch hates us all.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 18:17   #48
Ali
It is happening again

Ali is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
Nope.

Generally, if we had a question then we still have it because Lynch hates us all.
And that's what makes him great. Too much pandering and fan service in modern TV, and showrunners changing things because people get offended too easily.

There's not a single show on TV like Twin Peaks, and there likely never will be again (until the next season in 2020 pls Lynch).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2017, 18:41   #49
Sweey
Administrator

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Seasons 1 and 2 were undoubtedly groundbreaking for their time and I feel season 3 is exactly the same. Despite the way things have moved on and "weird" isn't anywhere near as odd as it used to be, he managed, much to my surprise in all honesty, to push the bar so very high again in terms of weirdness, production levels and great writing (for the most part).
Old 07-09-2017, 15:59   #50
BarnDoor
Hairy Saddlebags
  • PSN: BarnDoor1

BarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Right here we go, some thoughts.

Firstly the fate of Evil Coop/Bob was terrible, rushed as if it was an afterthought, despite being the focus of the series. I didn't even mind Lucy shooting him, but the whole 'Bob-Ball' business was a bad idea. I understand wanting to show Bob in some capacity, but surely there was a better way of doing it. We didn't even get the Good Coop/Bad Coop standoff we've all been waiting for. It just didn't feel anywhere near 'epic' enough, and to potentially give the great Bob this kind of end was frankly criminal, he deserved far better - hell, the program deserves far better. A rare misfire from Lynch.

Of course, the fact that they gave the honour to Freddy made it all the more problematic. I voiced my concerns that they'd give this cunt a pivotal role when he first appeared, and unfortunately I was correct. As a device, it felt extremely forced and stupid, to have an almost superhero element in proceedings. And as a character, I fucking hated him, I cringed every time he uttered something. I mean, if they had to go with this kind of shit, why not have Hawk find a glove while out on that trek, maybe Andy comes back from the White Lodge with it and is told to give it to Hawk? I mean, we all love Hawk and he's a badass, so we'd have at least accepted it from that point of view. But to have some newcomer come in and do it, well that just felt very, very wrong. No idea what Lynch was thinking here.

And btw - I don't believe Bob the entity is destroyed. I think the shot of the fragmented bits of ball almost dissolving into the ceiling was very deliberate. That, and we only saw the Coop doppelganger aflame in the Red Room. I don't think for a second Bob as a force can be destroyed so easily. I'm convinced he lingers somewhere in the Black Lodge, which makes it somewhat more digestible for me.

That was the bad part, and it was bad. The good news? It happened early enough in the two-part finale so as not to taint it too much (I can't hate Twin Peaks). From the moment Coop and Mike entered through the bowels of the Great Northern, it was wonderful. While I wished the Good Coop/Bad Coop/Bob element had been afforded a more integral role in the finale, I love that the show came back round to Laura Palmer, of course the central figure in this mystery. The scene between her and Coop in the woods was truly beautiful, magical even. Bobby seeing the photo of Laura was the only time we've heard her theme this season, and to hear it again, for the first time in full, damn near brought tears to my eyes. A special moment, until the shattering climax (credit again to Sheryl Lee's outstanding screaming ability, which we'll come to again shortly).

(Also it was great to hear Mike utter the 'Fire Walk With Me' chant again. He might be a bit cancerous now bless him but he was absolutely phenomenal in the original series, his delivery was nothing short of exquisite. An underrated MVP in this show)

Part 2 was very curious. I wasn't sure what to make of the first part, but I found it extremely effective from the moment Coop/Richard met Carrie/Laura. The night ride had the feeling of impending doom, the duration of the sequence lending it a sort of nightmarish, neverending road quality. The tension was expertly drawn out again as the two ascended the stairs. It all culminated in an absolute showstopper of a final moment which left my heart in my mouth. Whatever your thoughts on what it all meant, you cannot deny it was a hell of an ending. And yes, intense as fuck.

I've since read a lot of theories, some compelling, some not. I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on, but I think it's fairly safe to say that Coop cannot save Laura, she is doomed to live out this fate no matter how he tries. At the end of part 1, clearly she's whisked away somewhere - the scream suggests it isn't good, and the fact that we previously saw Sarah Palmer (AKA Mother/Judy) acting to violently to the prospect of her being saved suggests she probably intervened (was she informed by The Jumping Man, racing down the stairs from The Black Lodge as Coop and Mike entered?). And at the end of part 2, well, that can't be good either. You hear Sarah shouting 'Laura', which seems to evoke realisation in Laura. There's some suggestion that this is a dream, with her set to re-awake to old life, with the same possessed and abusive father, surely doomed to die in the near future. I can buy into that. For whatever Laura/Carrie was in this new life, an inevitability brought her back to Twin Peaks. Her and Coop are always brought back to the place eventually, no matter what 'universe' we're in (hence why that night drive felt so ominous). Coop got lucky in getting out - now he's trying to fuck up the timeline and Judy seemingly won't allow it. The whole Tremont/Chalfont business added an extra layer of intrigue to it.

Will we see more? I honestly don't know. As Ali said, this finale felt like it was setting up a new element to the mystery. In the first episode of the season, the Fireman stressed the importance of Richard and Linda (presumably Coop and Diane's alter-egos in this universe), which seems peculiar if this is all the attention afforded to them. Right now this gives me about the most hope we'll see more. Of course, there are still many other outstanding issues - Sarah Palmer, Audrey, the various elements of the Lodges, the odd goings on in Twin Peaks - but it would be just like Lynch to leave these hanging in the air. That we'll be talking about these and indeed the finale (especially what Laura whispers in Coop's ear) for probably another 25 years might be just what he was looking for (and oftentimes, the mystery is best left unresolved, as Lost well attests).

Do I want more Twin Peaks? Without question. This series surpassed my expectations beyond all measure and unlike watching the original, with its lull during the second half of season 2, I did not feel a sense of lethargy, as though it limped towards the finish; I wanted this to go on and on. After watching this, I realized just how much I loved the show, and the characters and world Lynch has created; infact, I have a pressing desire to go back and watch the original series and FWWM, in the hope that it gives me some added fulfillment after Sunday's conclusion. I'd probably appreciate it even more second time round.

A general note about the series - The Man From Another Place (AKA red midget cunt) was also very missed. The Red Room felt empty without him, lacked a personality. Plus he was excellent acting opposite Bob in FWWM. The new series was always at a disadvantage without the likes of him, Bob, Major Briggs, and of course the magnificent Leland Palmer (beyond two scenes where he barely speaks). In light of that, it fared very well indeed.

And finally, I also want to say how brilliant this music is. Lynch proving there's no end to his talents, and that Angelo wasn't responsible for all the memorable music across the series and film. Indeed, a shame we didn't hear it in the revival:

"Now I absolutely despise the murderer Herzog. I tell him to his face that I want to see him perish like the llama he executed. He should be thrown to the crocodiles alive! An anaconda should throttle him slowly! The sting of a deadly spider should paralyze him! His brain should burst from the bite of the most poisonous of all snakes! Panthers shouldn't slit his throat open with their claws, that would be too good for him! No. Big red ants should piss in his eyes, eat his balls, penetrate his asshole, and eat his guts! He should get the plague! Syphilis! Malaria! Yellow fever! Leprosy! In vain. The more I wish the most horrible of deaths on him and treat him like the scum of the earth that he is, the less I can get rid of him!" - Kinski on Herzog
BarnDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 14:26   #51
Ali
It is happening again

http://www.waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/

Someone posted that link in the thread on gaf. Interesting read, and it kinda makes sense (as much as anything Twin Peaks related possibly can).

Old 08-09-2017, 16:38   #52
BarnDoor
Hairy Saddlebags

BarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

I saw that earlier, and while it is very well thought out and rather compelling, I just can't be convinced that what happened was for a greater good (would it feel quite so...sinister?). I recognized the '6' sign from Andy's vision in the lodge, but why would the Fireman show Andy this? The other stuff he showed him - in the police station - made sense, but this? Also, I'm sure we saw that '6' three times, so what do we make of that? The obvious suggestion is number of the beast, but that doesn't really make much sense in the Twin Peaks universe (that said, there was Laura's 'angel' at the end of FWWM, who may well be Coop).
"Now I absolutely despise the murderer Herzog. I tell him to his face that I want to see him perish like the llama he executed. He should be thrown to the crocodiles alive! An anaconda should throttle him slowly! The sting of a deadly spider should paralyze him! His brain should burst from the bite of the most poisonous of all snakes! Panthers shouldn't slit his throat open with their claws, that would be too good for him! No. Big red ants should piss in his eyes, eat his balls, penetrate his asshole, and eat his guts! He should get the plague! Syphilis! Malaria! Yellow fever! Leprosy! In vain. The more I wish the most horrible of deaths on him and treat him like the scum of the earth that he is, the less I can get rid of him!" - Kinski on Herzog
Old 08-09-2017, 16:49   #53
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
I saw that earlier, and while it is very well thought out and rather compelling, I just can't be convinced that what happened was for a greater good (would it feel quite so...sinister?). I recognized the '6' sign from Andy's vision in the lodge, but why would the Fireman show Andy this? The other stuff he showed him - in the police station - made sense, but this? Also, I'm sure we saw that '6' three times, so what do we make of that? The obvious suggestion is number of the beast, but that doesn't really make much sense in the Twin Peaks universe (that said, there was Laura's 'angel' at the end of FWWM, who may well be Coop).
We definitely saw the 6 three times which I surmise to be either Laura tainted by the devil (via her mother) or that place leading Cooper towards the devil.

How it fits in with EVERYTHING else? Well it doesn't, only bits of it.
Old 08-09-2017, 17:01   #54
BarnDoor
Hairy Saddlebags

Bringing the idea of the Devil into the mythos is really quite big though, and surely requires expanding upon. Is the Mother/Judy the Devil? And why reveal this to Andy of all people?

Struggling otherwise to account for the relevance of showing that number 3 times. From what I recall, there was nothing in the scene to link it to three in some way. I don't believe the author of that article mentions the 6 sign being shown 3 times, when it obviously has significance.

18 perhaps? Episode 18?
Old 08-09-2017, 18:10   #55
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
18 perhaps? Episode 18?
That's the one thing I can't believe and yet in the mind of Lynch he'd do that sort of shit just to fuck with us because it isn't what everyone would expect. That or, while Andy was gaining knowledge of bad things, that image - already filmed for later - was just used to mislead us because of our natural association.

Orrrrrrrrr....wasn't that the third timeline in which Laura died? The real world, the forest when Cooper first tried to save her at the end of episode 17 and then this time, at the end of episode 18?
Old 08-09-2017, 18:13   #56
BarnDoor
Hairy Saddlebags

My head hurts
Old 08-09-2017, 18:28   #57
Sweey
Administrator

Which one?