PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
User Tag List

Old 04-04-2007, 16:32   #16
hazman79

hazman79 has discovered the General Forums. God help us.hazman79 has discovered the General Forums. God help us.hazman79 has discovered the General Forums. God help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Red Bulls View Post
Well in america people think soccer is a womens sport beacuse of the low level of contact and say its straight up boring. Funny because baseball is worse in terms of boring. But I think it will slowly change because of the amount of south americans entering the country, My parents are the same about grades and what my carrer choice is because they are the keys to succsess. Soccer in america is considered a third world sport.
Exactly, that's the point. Think Tiger Woods, think Venus / Serena Williams, think most American Football / Basket / Baseball stars. You can see where i'm going with this, but basically mostly from very poor, urban backgrounds. Most of the best footballers from South America or Europe or Africa are from very poor backgounds where playing football is all they do all day long, they are never expected to acheive much else by their parents. There are of course the odd exception to the rule but as a general principle it shouldn't (in theory) be too hard to translate this policy that has worked so well for the other mainstream American sports into "soccer".

hazman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 16:46   #17
hazman79

hazman79 has discovered the General Forums. God help us.hazman79 has discovered the General Forums. God help us.hazman79 has discovered the General Forums. God help us.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
One of the reasons I see is that it's still not really taken seriously by many teens. you can't play Baseball/Football/etc. for your school until your about 13/14 years old, so most parents will sign their children up to play soccer for something to do until they're able to play a more popular sport. Many teens regard it as a child's sport because of this.

Another problem is the level of youth coaching. As I said earlier, there is no school team to play for when you're 8 so if you play in an independent league then your coach is most likely going to be a team mate's parent who's volunteering to coach and doesn't really know anything about the sport. Most standard youth games are simply kick the ball and chase, no real tactical or technical training. So many kids never really experience the game how it's supposed to be played. They stop playing assuming that it's a bunch of peope with no talent chasing after the ball for 90 minutes. The assumption that soccer doesn't really take talent to play is still very prevalent. You can go to a higher level of play and get some real qualified coaches, but that costs several hundred dollars.

And then the fact that not many children grow up wanting to be a "soccer star." Soccer players aren't idolised the same way American football players are. This is mostly due to most people of parenting age in America right now don't see soccer as a serious sport and so there children don't grow up watching it, as more people who are interested in the game become parents it's likely that their children will become interested.
Some very good points Joey.

Quote:
your coach is most likely going to be a team mate's parent who's volunteering to coach and doesn't really know anything about the sport. Most standard youth games are simply kick the ball and chase, no real tactical or technical training. So many kids never really experience the game how it's supposed to be played.
Sadly this is very much the same in England actually. I have ranted on about this a number of times and I'm getting rather bored of it, but basically I help out coaching the youngsters at our local club and I see the standard from around 8 to 14 and this is supposedly the magic age group where children learn skills that will form the "natural" basis of their game when they are older.

At my club I hear moronic dads and or coachs(who have no formal training and have an ancient view of how the game should be played i.e how it was played in their day) shouting idiotic things to the kids that will retard their progress and create negative tendancies in their play which they will never lose. Anyway thats our problem not yours!
hazman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 16:55   #18
Huw
PESInsight Legend
  • Supports: Birmingham City, Arizona Cardinals, Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Coyotes

Huw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week alone

Quote:
Soccer in america is considered a third world sport.
Ironic really since technically USA is a third world country

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Huw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 16:57   #19
Calzone
  • Supports: AC Milan
  • XBox: Calzone FC

Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

No, Usa is not a third world country
Old 04-04-2007, 17:11   #20
Huw
PESInsight Legend

Huw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneHuw has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week alone

Quote:
No, Usa is not a third world country
Technically it is because its only recently been on the world map.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2007, 17:13   #21
Calzone

Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?Calzone has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

By third world countries I'm talking about the underdeveloped nations of the world, esp. those with widespread poverty
Old 04-04-2007, 17:21   #22
Huw
PESInsight Legend

Quote:
By third world countries I'm talking about the underdeveloped nations of the world, esp. those with widespread poverty
I realise that - thats why I said "technically"

But on a sidenote are you trying to tell me USA hasnt got widespread poverty ?

Old 04-04-2007, 17:25   #23
Calzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huw View Post
I realise that - thats why I said "technically"

But on a sidenote are you trying to tell me USA hasnt got widespread poverty ?
every country has poverty, but The developing nations of Africa, Asia, and Latin American are what i mean. Minority groups as a whole within a larger prevailing culture

Edit: this is getting a bit off topic so lets just end this convo.
Old 04-04-2007, 17:55   #24
Cannon ball
  • Supports: Manchester City FC

Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Cannon ball is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.

Who would you say are the top 10 players in the MLS?
Old 04-04-2007, 18:15   #25
Calzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon ball View Post
Who would you say are the top 10 players in the MLS?
Persnally I like Cunningham, Moreno, Gomez, De Rosario, jimmy conrad, Guevarra, Ruiz,, Razov, Donovan, Albright. There are a lot more but i like these people the best.
Old 05-04-2007, 00:12   #26
Diao
The People's Champ
  • Supports: Liverpool FC, Alfreton Town, Perth Glory FC, Anaheim Ducks
  • PSN: Rafa2007

Diao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preki-USA View Post
its better than the A-League.
At least we call it football, you wanna be football players
Diao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 00:25   #27
gotnoname
  • Supports: Philadelphia Union

gotnoname is an unknown

For a long time it was called Soccer in Australia.

Soccer is just a nickname for "Association Football" and the word was started in England,not the U.S.
gotnoname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 00:28   #28
Diao
The People's Champ

Diao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneDiao has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week alone

Yes we did call it soccer.

It's called football now.

But American's just don't understand that NFL is crap and it's not real football.
Old 05-04-2007, 00:29   #29
Calzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rafa- View Post
Yes we did call it soccer.

It's called football now.

But American's just don't understand that NFL is crap and it's not real football.
This is the MLS Thread

Plus the NFL is not crap
Old 05-04-2007, 00:30   #30
Diao
The People's Champ

If it's the MLS thread how come Preki mentioned the A-League?

Yes the NFL is crap, it's the wanna be American version of Rugby.