PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 11-10-2008, 00:28   #1
alkemy007
  • XBox: alkemy007_uk

alkemy007 has stepped out of the darkness into slightly less darkness

Tongue Turntablism/DJ /Hip-Hop Thread

Hello everyone, just wanted to start a thread about the joys of deejaying/scratching (and the pure frustration that goes with it)...wanted to know if any of you guys (or gals, but doubt it) have decks or are thinking of getting some?...anyone play out in clubs?...I got 2 Technics 1210's, a Vestax mixer and Scratch Live (anyone got it?)...Also, if you guys have any videos of you on the decks, post them up..Im into all sorts of music but Hip-Hop is my main love (cant say Im feeling all the Lil Wayne, TI, David Banner stuff)..Im more of a Gangstarr, KRS, Cage and Mr Lif type of guy...so, anyone into real Hip-Hop (Breakin, Emceeing, DJing and Graf) is welcome in this thread..Nice one...DJ Alkemy.

alkemy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 04:06   #2
alkemy007

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo

haha..guess no one DJ's then..oh well!
Old 22-10-2008, 06:03   #3
JoeyM
It's Supposed to Bubble
  • XBox: JEREMY PIVEN

JoeyM has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneJoeyM has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneJoeyM has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneJoeyM has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneJoeyM has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week aloneJoeyM has read all 32 threads opened by Viperized this week alone

How difficult is it to get into djing? I've never done it in my life, but it's something I've always been interested in, and I've been talking to someone who djs and makes a nice bit of money by doing it on the side. i've been thinking of picking up a SL-1200 just to see if I'm interested. I've been producing sample based hip hop for a little bit now so I understand the basics of beatmatching, pitching, and all that, so I figure it couldn't be that hard to get started.
JoeyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 10:20   #4
Gun_Runner
100Gunz-100Clipz

Gun_Runner has discovered the General Forums. God help us.Gun_Runner has discovered the General Forums. God help us.

I'm in the same boat, it's been something I've wanted to get into for a few years now but I'm a total n00b and don't know where to start! It's hard to get help from people where I'm from as well since most the DJ's here listen to dance/trance music...
Gun_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 17:22   #5
alkemy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
How difficult is it to get into djing? I've never done it in my life, but it's something I've always been interested in, and I've been talking to someone who djs and makes a nice bit of money by doing it on the side. i've been thinking of picking up a SL-1200 just to see if I'm interested. I've been producing sample based hip hop for a little bit now so I understand the basics of beatmatching, pitching, and all that, so I figure it couldn't be that hard to get started.
It would cost between 500-700 for a decent setup (Technics decks plus a decent mixer and maybe an amp, but most people start off by using their stereo as their amp).

Its really all about how much time you put into it and what your aim is, if its to be a good scratch DJ it takes a lot of patience and getting through the self doubt (I couldnt scratch for shit for a year and a half)

You can make some good money if you become good enough and confident enough to play clubs, sometimes between 100-150 for a few hours set.

My tip if you are thinking of getting into it is get a decent setup cause that is half the battle and practice as much as you can, also if you want to get into scratching learn the basics first, walk before you can run as they say, maybe when you got the basics down invest in a tutorial DVD by someone like DJ Q-Bert....hope that helps.
Old 18-11-2008, 00:24   #6
Gun_Runner
100Gunz-100Clipz

Gun_Runner has discovered the General Forums. God help us.Gun_Runner has discovered the General Forums. God help us.

I see a lot of DJ's using laptops when they're playing at a club, what exactly is it for? do they record all their stuff on that and simply press play? what sort of software would they use aswell?

I've been really interested in getting into this for a while but I have no idea where to start looking or where to learn...
Old 18-11-2008, 08:48   #7
alkemy007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Runner View Post
I see a lot of DJ's using laptops when they're playing at a club, what exactly is it for? do they record all their stuff on that and simply press play? what sort of software would they use aswell?

I've been really interested in getting into this for a while but I have no idea where to start looking or where to learn...
Yeah, I use a laptop too, its actually to use software called Scratch Live. Scratch Live allows you to use any mp3 you have in your laptop to play on the decks. When you buy Scratch Live it comes with software to install into your laptop but also a hardware Scratch Live Box interface (which is to plug your turntables into on one side and also connect upto your laptop) also, you get 2 time coded vynil records which are used to carry the signal from your laptop, out to the records on your decks and out through your mixer!...it sounds real complicated but it is pretty simple to set up too...basically it gives scratch DJ's (not just scratch DJ's though) the exact same feel of using real vynil (because, basically, it is!)...you can scratch like crazy and the signal will be able to handle it and it will sound like you actually have that record instead of just owning the mp3..it also saves you lugging 3-4 record bags around with you when you are playing in a club...its also a lot cheaper (i use to buy 2 records of each 12", which were normally around 6-7, so it would end up costing me the price of an album to get one track!)..with Scratch Live its as simple as hearing a track you like, downloading it within minutes and bang!..you got it in your collection..most people download the tracks for free off Limewire etc which I occasionally do (hey, i paid my dues in the record buying department with over 5k worth of vynil, plus as DJ's you are promoting the artists tracks for free whenever you play out in a club) but most times I will get the track off Itunes cause it will be a better quality mp3, it all depends on your moral stance on the whole downloading aspect but hey, if you download all your tunes for free, its your business!...as for learning it depends if you want to become a sratch DJ or just a normal mix DJ..both take a lot of practice and patience but seeing as your into Hip-Hop you will probably want to learn to scratch (not essential though)...Youtube has some great tutorial videos on mixing, scratching etc (Ill even be doing my own!) these days but I would advise to put some time in on your own and get to know the basics of beat matching first...hope this helps, any questions dont hesitate to ask.

oh yeah, here is some video's of me scratching if your interested?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9l6bmC6DE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeIWqeT4ZZs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaMR4xRz2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p7DcI5sPkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=050mohgKzIs
Old 18-11-2008, 10:15   #8
Gun_Runner
100Gunz-100Clipz

Thanks a lot I'll have a look at your videos when I get back from my daily fitness routine haha!

As I said earlier I'm very interested in DJ'ing but it all seems too much info to take in at the one time and I have no idea where to start really. Eg. what equipment is essential and what most DJ's at clubs would use? Things of that nature...

I watched a video on Youtube earlier actually, and the guy was saying the best decks to get are Technic 1200's or something?
Old 18-11-2008, 12:03   #9
alkemy007

Quote:
Thanks a lot I'll have a look at your videos when I get back from my daily fitness routine haha!

As I said earlier I'm very interested in DJ'ing but it all seems too much info to take in at the one time and I have no idea where to start really. Eg. what equipment is essential and what most DJ's at clubs would use? Things of that nature...

I watched a video on Youtube earlier actually, and the guy was saying the best decks to get are Technic 1200's or something?
I used to have Vestax PDX decks, they were wicked for scratching but when I would play in clubs they would have Technics 1200's so I sold my Vestax and got a pair of Technics, they are industry standard anyway so yeah, they would be your best bet...you will need a pair of them along with a mixer (you can probably pick up a nice vestax mixer for a oner, or you could get a cheap mixer for about 40-50 quid if you wont be doing any scratching)..you will also need an amplifier and speakers but also you can use your home stereo if it has a phono connection at the back..that along with a pair of headphones and your good to go.

You will have to start buying records then though, unless you are thinking of getting Scratch Live (its about 400 quid though, but like I said, when you get it you never need to buy records, just download mp3's) but then you will need a PC or laptop (which I summise you already have) to hook it up to..it is a bit pricey but it will be worth it when you start to really enjoy being on the decks, plus if you get to a good standard you can make a good bit of mooler if you start playing in clubs..good luck!
Old 18-11-2008, 13:22   #10
Gun_Runner
100Gunz-100Clipz

So if I got myself: 2 x Technic 1200's, a 2 channel mixer,speakers & amp and Scratch Live...how much do you reckon it'd all cost? and what else would I need to spend to have a good setup?
Old 18-11-2008, 17:26   #11
alkemy007

Quote:
So if I got myself: 2 x Technic 1200's, a 2 channel mixer,speakers & amp and Scratch Live...how much do you reckon it'd all cost? and what else would I need to spend to have a good setup?
you could probably get a pair of technics for aroun 400, a 2 channel mixer around 40, amp n speakers 150ish (if you have got a stereo use that, cheaper) and scratch live the cheapest deal i have seen is 359..so all in all it will set you back around 900-1000.

there are cheaper alternatives in the decks and mixer department, Stanton do a beginner set for around 250 but if you are serious and really want to get into it then go with spending a bit more, it will probably save you money in the long run when you decide that the stantons aint near Technics for quality (you will notice a big difference when you start to get better on the decks).

as for anything else, your decks should come with needles and slipmats etc so you wont need to fork out any more dough, and dont let people wherever you might buy the decks talk you into trying to buy dear as hell headphones (like I did all them years ago..haha) cause I just bought a pair of Sonys from asda for 15 quid and they are sound.

before you commit to buying anything drop me a message and let me know what the deal is and ill let you know if ya getting ripped off, for example, when you buy technics you will want to know if everything is there like the covers etc and if they come with replacement cartridges and stuff.