PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 24-10-2015, 12:42   #1
rebelinho
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Portuguese Refereeing Scandal

Yes, I know I might be biased, but following what Joel said I'm pushing the car in hope somebody turns the keys.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2015/10/...94_796252.html

You probably have heard that Portugal is a corruption heaven, and football is no exception. From Calabote to Apito Dourado, there is this ever-present feeling that there's always something going on.

Last season first level referee Marco Ferreira was assigned to Taça de Portugal final as the main referee. Sporting beat Braga 3-1 in penalties after a 2-goal draw in the regular and extra time.

Some time later Marco Ferreira hit back at Vitor Pereira, the president of the Refereeing Comitee that chose him was the referee for the cup final, for this:

Quote:
«Recebi telefonemas em que me foi dito que o jogo tinha de correr bem, caso contrário, não podia apitar o clássico de abril (Benfica-FC Porto)», disse em declarações à RTP Informação.
«I received some calls where I was told the match had to go right, otherwise I wouldn't be chosen to Benfica-Porto deby in April»

Sem referir o jogo em causa, Marco Ferreira, que no final da época viu confirmada a despromoção ao segundo escalão, acabou por adiantar que os telefonemas aconteceram a «17 de março e 19 de março».
Without saying which game was it, Marco Ferreira, later demoted to level 2 referee, added that the calls were made around the «17th and 19th of March».
Around 17th and 19th of March (on the 21st, to be more exact) Benfica played against Rio Ave in Vila do Conde, and they lost 2-1. You can see where this is going.

Today Marco Ferreira unveiled a bit more of the matter at hands. In an interview to spanish newspaper AS he said some very worrying things. Translated with Google and some corrections from me, so don't expect Shakespear stuff.

Quote:
Do you think that referees are aware that they cannot be wrong against Benfica while Pereira rules the Refereeing Comitee?

I'm not going to say that Benfica asks Pereira to speak to the referees to favor the club. I won't say that. What I say is that he (Pereira) does that because he knows that Benfica is the only club that supports him. So he does not want any referee to jeopardize that relationship. Benfica have never talked to me or called me for favoring them. But Vitor Pereira, yes. In the week that I had the Benfica match, he called me saying to be careful, and make sure the game was good. And only did so before Benfica matches. He never called me before a game of Porto, for example. And not only me, many colleagues received these calls...
Quote:
What would Pereira say when he called?

In the week before Rio Ave vs Benfica he called twice, on Tuesday and Thursday. On Thursday he said that if there wasn't a good match, I could not be named for Benfica vs Porto in April. He said be careful, that it was the title match for Benfica. And I said no, that was not the title game because Benfica had four points advantage over Porto. And he answered: "It's very different to play against Porto in April with a gap of four points or just with two points or one".
Quote:
And what was the end the Rio Ave-Benfica?

Benfica was winning 0-1 when I called for a penalty favoring Rio Ave, showed a straight red to Benfica's captain, and eventually Rio Ave won 2-1. But those were the right decisions. It was a good match. Pereira did not return my call since then, and didn't appoint me to the Benfica vs Porto derby.

He never called you again?

No. He said that if the game went well I would be chosen to the derby. I made a good match, but I was not appointed. I wonder, then, what is a good match for him.
Quote:
Is there a bad atmosphere among the referees for these attitudes of the chairman of Arbitration?

Yes, but they are afraid to denounce and put an end to Pereira's reign, fearing he will end their careers just like me. I'm an example for them of what can happen. I was an international referee and never in the history of Portugal an international referee was dropped to second level.
And to finish...

Quote:
How are referees for matches in Portugal elected?

It's Vitor Pereira who appoints them. He's free to choose who he wants.
This brings another matter. A few months ago all the clubs got together to discuss a possible change in the referee nomination scheme. They proposed a raffle for each week, so there would be no room for corruption. Every club accepted this except Benfica, and the idea was eventually discard (because Pereira has the power to do so).

What will happen now? Honestly, I think nothing will be done. This isn't the first time things like this came up. They are untouchable, even more than the FIFA staff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:10   #2
JohnSound

JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?JohnSound has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Shocking. Seems a lot like it was in Italy with Juve & others (calciopoli) Leaving such a big decision, appointing refs to games, to one man is asking for trouble, it's so open to exploitation & corruption.
JohnSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 20:03   #3
Joel
Joined For Fun
  • Supports: Chelsea FC
  • PSN: inZane88

Joel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like status

Pretty sad how a situation like this can occur in a top flight division in a rather important football country. I've heard a few times about the football corruption in Portugal, but to reading that really hammers it home.

Has anything happened since you have made this thread, reb?
Joel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 23:58   #4
rebelinho
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

@Joel @JohnSound There have been developments in the last few days. All of them are utterly ridiculous.

http://www.zerozero.pt/news.php?id=163613

Marco Ferreira, in the very next day, came out to portuguese newspaper saying "I never said Vitor Pereira asked me to directly benefit Benfica.". In his own words...

Quote:
Vitor Pereira makes this a desperate attempt to please those who rule the Portuguese football to possibly make a candidacy for elections next year. For example, remember the referee's nominations. Clearly it was Benfica who did not want to them to change the current method, supporting Vítor Pereira in making appointments.
Wait, so did Pereira ask him to cheat or not? Probably, but Marco won't say he did so directly. Even worse, the next day he said...

Quote:
I won't talk to the press again
http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/desporto/d..._imprensa.html

This is a complete joke.

You might have noticed the bolded "this" in the first quote. Well, what is "this"? What happened to make Marco say those words? This happened.

http://rr.sapo.pt/noticia/37671/vito...marco_ferreira

Vitor Pereira filed in a criminal complaint against Marco Ferreira for "the defamatory nature of his statements". Expected, likely worthless, and typical portuguese stuff. Both sides attack each other, the media thrives on the scandal, and nothing relevant happens.

Before starting his strike on interviews Marco added that he was "admired on how reactionless everybody was" when faced with these many scandals.

http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/desporto/...tragem_v869306

In this interview/talkshow he was asked if he had "proof on those calls". His answer? "I'm not afraid of the truth, and while I say the truth I can be calm and fine". What this means is a mystery to me.

All in all, as far as I know, no actual police/judicial investigation has been started yet.

Now to the best part. Bruno de Carvalho, Sporting's president, and a person that can only be described as "the worst part of Piers Morgan when given the power to speak freely and act accordingly".

He was the man who fired Marco Silva to appoint rival's manager Jorge Jesus, and to avoid paying MS his deserved compensation BdC argued he "failed to use the club's outfit in the Cup final". He is the man who held that very shady deal with Doyen for Rojo, still under investigation, and claims he did nothing wrong. He is the man who spent 150 mins on national television shouting rubbish at the people's ears (some of it was true though, but that's for another time and place) with fans of Porto and Benfica on the same show. An actual club president stoop down to that level. Yet he said this:

Quote:
We will not let entangle ourselves in fiction. Marco Ferreira will have to live up to what he said and then there must be courage to act. This must demonstrate that Portugal may be tiny in size, but it can also be of great men in courage and justice.
Alright, sounds nice and all, despite his own actions stating otherwise. Then this comes:

Quote:
People do not realize the advantages of doing things the good way instead of following paths contrary to the law and justice.
Oh really? Why not starting by yourself?

Meanwhile, Porto states that..

Quote:
It's a shame that the national authorities are up to their knees with work and don't have the time to dispense a bit of attention to complaints from Marco Ferreira. (...) It is increasingly untenable Vítor Pereira's position on the Board of Arbitration, which can only be understood as a very biased mission.
We can only wait for further (and unlikely) developments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote