PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
User Tag List

Old 26-10-2013, 15:34   #1
Viperized
  • Supports: Arsenal

Viperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by Ali

Best SSD under £70? Then he went and spent £130

Best SSD under £70? Sick and tired of this slow Windows 7 boot up. Need speed! Should I buy an SSD now or are prices likely to drop?

Viperized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 17:13   #2
Sweey
Administrator
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

120GB Samsung 840 EVO for £73.99 - just make sure it is coming from Amazon and not a marketplace seller. At the time of posting this link, it is with Amazon. Prices on Amazon change every weekday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-120G...amsung+840+Evo

You really can't go wrong with that. For that price in your position I would snap it up now before the price goes up.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 21:14   #3
Viperized

Viperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by Ali

Alright, I'll go for that one.

Sweey is it possible to install Win 8 on the SSD while retaining the data of my 1TB HDD? Furthermore, how does one link the HDD and SSD together? Obviously 128GB isn't a great amount. Is it possible to have My Documents, Downloads, My Music, My Videos etc automatically linked to the 1TD HDD?

I've currently got Windows 7 installed on my HDD but not sure how best to approach this.
Old 26-10-2013, 23:06   #4
Sweey
Administrator

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperized View Post
Alright, I'll go for that one.

Sweey is it possible to install Win 8 on the SSD while retaining the data of my 1TB HDD? Furthermore, how does one link the HDD and SSD together? Obviously 128GB isn't a great amount. Is it possible to have My Documents, Downloads, My Music, My Videos etc automatically linked to the 1TD HDD?

I've currently got Windows 7 installed on my HDD but not sure how best to approach this.
120GB (not 128GB) will only have 111.6GB usable but that is more than enough for the OS and applications. Your downloads should not be stored in My Documents as your music and videos should not be stored in My Music and My Videos. Instead, put all of those things in folders on the 1TB drive. The same goes for games - all on the 1TB drive. You want the SSD for anything that requires loading (except games) so that the OS itself is snappy. Media doesn't require the faster access times.

While things can be split which I did under Windows 7 after installing it (registry changes if I recall), it isn't necessarily hassle free putting everything back together at a later date and some programs refuse to follow the instructions anyway.
Old 27-10-2013, 12:31   #5
Viperized

Sweey, this SSD is cheaper than the Samsung:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Tec...1&keywords=ssd

Is it worth it given the price, or shall I stick with the EVO?
Old 27-10-2013, 13:14   #6
Sweey
Administrator

The EVO is faster in benchmarks but you may not notice real world differences. They have the same warranty (three years) so there's no particular reason not to go for the cheaper option.
Old 27-10-2013, 14:01   #7
Viperized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
The EVO is faster in benchmarks but you may not notice real world differences. They have the same warranty (three years) so there's no particular reason not to go for the cheaper option.
What kind of speed differences are we talking about here?
Old 27-10-2013, 14:27   #8
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
What kind of speed differences are we talking about here?
Have a quick read of this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...g-840-pro.html

If it were me I would go for the Samsung. There is nothing wrong with Kingston but the Samsung 840 series is right up there and it isn't as though the price difference between the two is £20-30.
Old 29-10-2013, 01:36   #9
Viperized

I decided to buy the 250GB EVO for £130 instead.

Good choice?
Old 29-10-2013, 14:36   #10
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
I decided to buy the 250GB EVO for £130 instead.

Good choice?
A good choice. Went for the 840 Pro instead of the Evo because of the warranty but other than that its absolutely fine.
Old 29-10-2013, 20:13   #11
Viperized

Now I understand that I should unplug my existing HDD while installing Windows to the SSD.

Should I format the HDD before or after this installation? Not sure what to do D:
Old 29-10-2013, 20:20   #12
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
Now I understand that I should unplug my existing HDD while installing Windows to the SSD.

Should I format the HDD before or after this installation? Not sure what to do D:
Not sure what makes you say that, I had all of mine connected and there was no issue. Do make sure you have the SATA ports set to AHCI in the BIOS before installing Windows on the SSD though. Use the Samsung Magician software afterwards to check if the OS is optimized for SSD use and AHCI mode has been correctly detected.
Old 29-10-2013, 20:34   #13
mahanddeem

mahanddeem has stepped out of the darkness into slightly less darkness

A fast PC is not only a fast ssd, CPU and memory mush match the added speed.
mahanddeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 23:24   #14
Viperized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
Not sure what makes you say that, I had all of mine connected and there was no issue. Do make sure you have the SATA ports set to AHCI in the BIOS before installing Windows on the SSD though. Use the Samsung Magician software afterwards to check if the OS is optimized for SSD use and AHCI mode has been correctly detected.
I've backed up all the important data on my HDD and I figured it would be best to start from fresh. So, how would I format the HDD? I can do that after I install Windows on the SSD, right?
Old 29-10-2013, 23:59   #15
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
I've backed up all the important data on my HDD and I figured it would be best to start from fresh. So, how would I format the HDD? I can do that after I install Windows on the SSD, right?
Yep you can.