PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 05-05-2015, 10:09   #1
Ziss
The Three Amigos

Ziss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Help ReQd: Cannot join Homegroup? (Windows 7)

I'm trying to have our desktop and laptop at home be part of a Homegroup so we can share music, documents, videos etc, but most importantly the printer (located in my man-cave, with my desktop).

I have tried creating a Homegroup on the desktop and have the laptop, and visa versa, however when trying to join it sits on the password screen (having entered the password correctly and pressed 'join'), it eventually tells me in a little pop up message that it cannot join.

I have checked several things already, and can confirm:-

Both computers are set to Home network, within the Network and Sharing Centre.

Both the Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider services are running on both computers.

I have deleted the idstore.sset file(s) within Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalS ervice\AppData\Roaming\PeerNet working however still nothing.

Have checked the licenses to make sure I hadn't registered them with the same key, and can confirm this is not the case.

I have downloaded Microsoft's 'Fix It' program, however when trying to run it gives me a message to suggest the software is out of date. This was located here.

Any suggestions? Since we've had the laptop (Fujitsu) I cannot recall us ever being on the same Homegroup. I think the old laptop managed it, however.

Cheers in advance!

Ziss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:25   #2
Ziss
The Three Amigos

Ziss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post countZiss is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Anybody?

I know @Sweey won't let me down!
Old 06-05-2015, 17:21   #3
Sweey
Administrator
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

I think I will I'm afraid.

The initial things I would have suggested you check, you say you've done. I've also had this problem before and have resolved it but I can't recall how. I'm inclined to think you've done something silly without realising but I can't be sure.

Have you tried temporarily turning the firewall on both machines off to see if that sorts the issue? Also, be sure to remove both computers from a homegroup and start again.

That I don't have a Windows 7 machine to test any of this with is also a hinderance - I had a similar issue in 8.1 at one stage but all is working well with the home computers as at now.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 19:30   #4
Ziss
The Three Amigos

Cheers @Sweey, I'll try the firewall test.

Would the firewall stop one even recognising that there's an available Homegroup to join? In both instances it can see the other has one it can join.
Old 06-05-2015, 20:06   #5
Sweey
Administrator

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziss View Post
Cheers @Sweey, I'll try the firewall test.

Would the firewall stop one even recognising that there's an available Homegroup to join? In both instances it can see the other has one it can join.
You'd expect the former but I wouldn't bank on that being the only possible scenario. It is definitely something I've been driven mad by once before and I don't know what I did to sort it.

What name have you given the homegroup? I tendt to stick to the default name and I've no idea whatsoever if there is any way for that to have an effect. It sounds like a ridiculous issue but you never know.
Old 06-05-2015, 20:08   #6
Ziss
The Three Amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
You'd expect the former but I wouldn't bank on that being the only possible scenario. It is definitely something I've been driven mad by once before and I don't know what I did to sort it.

What name have you given the homegroup? I tendt to stick to the default name and I've no idea whatsoever if there is any way for that to have an effect. It sounds like a ridiculous issue but you never know.
I can't remember ever being given the option to name it, always appeared to name it the same as the computer?
Old 06-05-2015, 20:11   #7
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziss View Post
I can't remember ever being given the option to name it, always appeared to name it the same as the computer?
I believe I have crossed my wires :>
Old 06-05-2015, 20:32   #8
Mick03

Mick03 has disabled reputation

I've never been able to get home groups working as i have different os machines that didn't use it.

you can have the shared printer/files without a homegroup. its an option in the advanced sharing setting, you can get there thought the property menu in networking. The only thing you'll have to do is have both machines on the same work group (changed via my computer).

its not as clean to use and you have to manual share folders buts it works.

I can not spell, so ignore spelling mistakes (Dyslexic)
Mick03 is offline   Reply With Quote