Can anybody tell me if that's any good?
Most hated people right now: Raymond Domenech, Lassana Diarra
Lorenzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 22:36   #437
Sweey
*RETIRED*
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Yes it is - if you're planning to play games. Shop around to possibly find it a little bit cheaper though.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 22:51   #438
Lorenzinho
  • XBox: LorenzoMuse

Lorenzinho has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sweey View Post
Yes it is - if you're planning to play games. Shop around to possibly find it a little bit cheaper though.
Cheers man. Also, there's a cheeky Sony I have my eye on aswell mate.

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...ry=VN+G+Series

Is 1GB of ram sufficient? And can you upgrade the RAM on a laptop?

Cheers for all the help.
Old 12-09-2007, 22:55   #439
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

The processor on the Sony isn't so good - you appear to be paying a lot for the sexy finish. The hard drive is half the size of the first one, the graphics memory is less and the graphics card itself isn't as good.

You can upgrade the RAM on a laptop but you can never quite be sure what the board supports and how many slots there are inside so perhaps it is a question worth asking at the time of purchase or in advance of purchase just to get a definitive answer about the particular laptop in question.
Old 13-09-2007, 09:05   #440
Miggy
Mr Lover Man
  • Supports: F.C.Barcelona
  • PSN: latinomig4

Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.

Ok, noob here. I want to add more RAM, how do go about finding out what sort of RAM my computer uses?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BARA - La Liga's only treble winners
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 09:09   #441
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Download CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/), run it (takes a few seconds for the window to come up once you double-click the icon), click on the Memory tab and it should tell you the type of memory (DDR or DDR2 - you won't be using DDR3), how much you've got and the frequency. Get me the information from that screen .
Old 13-09-2007, 09:18   #442
Miggy
Mr Lover Man

Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.Miggy is most likely an Admin or a Mod. Or a blight on the PESGaming community.

Thanks for your help, Don.

Old 13-09-2007, 09:28   #443
Sweey
*RETIRED*

You've got 512MB of DDR-333 RAM (the frequency is doubled to find the speed) with a CAS latency of 2.5. DDR-333 also goes by the name of PC2700.

Therefore, if you're buying more RAM, you need exactly the same speed of RAM (DDR-333) and the same latency or both sticks will work at the rate of the slower one.
Old 13-09-2007, 09:29   #444
Miggy
Mr Lover Man

Ok thanks again, amigo.

Old 13-09-2007, 20:17   #445
Ko_nami

Ko_nami has discovered the General Forums. God help us.Ko_nami has discovered the General Forums. God help us.Ko_nami has discovered the General Forums. God help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinomig4 View Post
Ok, noob here. I want to add more RAM, how do go about finding out what sort of RAM my computer uses?
The Crucial website can also give you information about the RAM in your PC or Laptop.

Here's their website:

http://www.crucial.com/

There's a link on the home page where you can let them scan your PC or Laptop so that they can give you a recommendation on what type of RAM is best for your PC or Laptop. Once the scan completes, it will show you a list of RAM modules compatible with your Computer.

They give you the RAM specs as well so you can use that information to find cheaper alternatives as the Crucial prices for RAM are quite expensive.

What I did was, I let them scan my PC and then looked at the RAM modules they recommended and then started to look for RAM modules with the exact same spec (recommended by Crucial) on Ebay.

You can find some RAM modules on Ebay that are half the price that Crucial sell them for.
Ko_nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 20:42   #446
Miggy
Mr Lover Man

I don't think I can afford to get 3GBs (4GBs out of the question at the moment) is it possible to have 2.5?

Old 13-09-2007, 22:02   #447
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Yes it is possible to have 2.5GB as long as you have sufficient slots on your motherboard. Two could hold 1GB each and a third a 512MB stick. Only a 64-bit OS will see more than 3.25GB anyway - that's why I had to get the 64-bit version of Vista instead of the 32-bit version. If I use XP (I've got a 32-bit version), I am limited to 3.25GB.

There are many subtle performance differences between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. One downfall with a 64-bit OS is that it has very little (or none at all) support for 16-bit programs - I recently downloaded a patch for an old game which Vista (because I've got the 64-bit version) refused to open so I had to open it up in XP (as I've got the 32-bit version). Crazy.
Old 15-09-2007, 10:14   #448
Viperized
  • Supports: Arsenal

Viperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by AliViperized has by now had a thread closed by Ali

Notice anything wrong? :\

Old 15-09-2007, 10:25   #449
Sweey
*RETIRED*

Yes, you've got speedstep enabled in the BIOS.

Speedstep turns down the multiplier when processor power isn't required and then raises the multiplier when a game or program requires the CPU to be faster. A bastard if you're overclocking though.

In one of the BIOS menus you will find most of if not all the following:

Execute Disable Bit
Virtualisation Technoloogy
E Intel Speedstep
C1
Leg USB Support
HPET

Not all need disabling but doing so should stop speedstep coming into effect and CPU-Z will always be your tester. I can't remember which menu in my BIOS or precisely which three or so I had to disable but once you find them, keep fiddling the options until speedstep is no longer in effect. You don't just disable the Speedstep option, there are others.
Old 16-09-2007, 13:06   #450
Lorenzinho
  • XBox: LorenzoMuse

Lorenzinho has disabled reputation

Anybody able to recommend a solid anti-virus software cause Norton is shite.