PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
Old 02-10-2017, 19:53   #556
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General
  • PSN: BarnDoor1

BarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

I think Hopkins takes the piss in a few things, I quite like it when he does. I was watching a new interview with Coppola on the Blu-ray where he talks about wanting some madness to the Van Helsing character, which I think might account for the approach they went with.

As for Hugh Grant, it's not the best choice I'll grant you, but he'd have been better than Keanu Reeves, I'll say that much. Maybe a little too foppish but Keanu seemed to be going for that most of the time. I'd have taken pretty much anything really. He's shit at the best of times but he's truly terrible. Oldman aside, Waits is another standout.

I think neither this nor Frankenstein have been done right. I'm always open to decent attempts (decent being the operative word).
"Now I absolutely despise the murderer Herzog. I tell him to his face that I want to see him perish like the llama he executed. He should be thrown to the crocodiles alive! An anaconda should throttle him slowly! The sting of a deadly spider should paralyze him! His brain should burst from the bite of the most poisonous of all snakes! Panthers shouldn't slit his throat open with their claws, that would be too good for him! No. Big red ants should piss in his eyes, eat his balls, penetrate his asshole, and eat his guts! He should get the plague! Syphilis! Malaria! Yellow fever! Leprosy! In vain. The more I wish the most horrible of deaths on him and treat him like the scum of the earth that he is, the less I can get rid of him!" - Kinski on Herzog
BarnDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45   #557
Ali
It is happening again
  • Supports: Bolton Wanderers
  • PSN: alistair26

Ali is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post countAli is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

1) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Thought I'd start off light. A decent enough Zom-com, though nowhere near as good as other similar movies such as Shaun and Zombieland. I probably would've got more enjoyment out of it if I had any knowledge the of Pride and Prejudice story.

6.5/10

2) Oculus

Not as scary as I hoped, baring a few minor jump scares, but I enjoyed this. Story was interesting and didn't drag, and I always appreciate a horror film with a..

Spoiler: 

7/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 18:28   #558
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

BarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post countBarnDoor is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Interview with the Vampire (2)

Another favourite I've seen more times than I can remember. Brilliantly acted (where was Cruise's Supporting Actor nom?), sumptuous production design, engaging story. Where have these high-class intelligent horror films gone? And crucially, it strikes a perfect note between vampiric romanticism and savagery. The 90s saw few better horror films than this.
"Now I absolutely despise the murderer Herzog. I tell him to his face that I want to see him perish like the llama he executed. He should be thrown to the crocodiles alive! An anaconda should throttle him slowly! The sting of a deadly spider should paralyze him! His brain should burst from the bite of the most poisonous of all snakes! Panthers shouldn't slit his throat open with their claws, that would be too good for him! No. Big red ants should piss in his eyes, eat his balls, penetrate his asshole, and eat his guts! He should get the plague! Syphilis! Malaria! Yellow fever! Leprosy! In vain. The more I wish the most horrible of deaths on him and treat him like the scum of the earth that he is, the less I can get rid of him!" - Kinski on Herzog
Old 03-10-2017, 22:39   #559
Jonno394
XLV
  • Supports: Birmingham City
  • PSN: jonno394

Jonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post countJonno394 is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

I recently rewatched Interview and it really is fantastic. Id forgotten most of what happened in France and afterwards. Cruise is indeed sublime in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jonno394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36   #560
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (3)

Again, another film I'm very fond of. I've always thought the media had it out for this film, be it Branagh's involvement or the De Niro casting. I feel that both do a great job, the former in both his capacities. Perhaps it could stop to breathe; I'd happily watch another hour with more story, but there's lots to love here: great cast, great production design, a human-like monster, the almost operatic feel. It's as close to the book as any film has come (despite some considerable alterations in the second half), so it should be commended for that alone. Great film. Plus Branagh was never sexier.

Witchtrap (4)

Oh dear. My first new watch of the season and it's an auspicious start I'm afraid. I expected better from the director of the enjoyable Night of the Demons and the highly underrated Witchboard. This film was cheap, poorly acted, dubbed terribly (the whole thing was ADR'd due to some fuck up while filming). There was a decent head explosion but that was about it really. And the worst crime? It was incredibly boring, which there's no excuse for.
Old 06-10-2017, 15:00   #561
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Don't Torture a Duckling (5)

Very good early giallo from Lucio Fulci. It's a very compelling story, certainly not the gorefest his later films would be but punctuated by some striking violence, in particular the brutal death of the local 'witch', which was pretty hard to watch. Of course, the spectacular slow-motion death of the falling dummy at the end is hilarious, though I'd have preferred a steeper drop and a more conventional falling dummy after the exploding head bits.
Old 06-10-2017, 18:46   #562
Joel
Joined For Fun
  • Supports: Chelsea FC
  • PSN: inZane88

Joel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like statusJoel is now aiming for Zygalski God-like status

Pretty sad I'm not doing this now looking back at last year's posts But truth be told, I go to bed earlier these nights, so not much time to do it. And I'm an all or nothing guy. It's either 31 nights or 0
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 19:35   #563
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Just do the final couple of weeks then, some is better than nothing.
Old 07-10-2017, 20:35   #564
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Angel Heart (6)

I forgot how good this film was. It hooks you immediately and the last 15 minutes in particular are simply incredible, astonishing acting from Rourke (Christ Mickey what did you do to your face?) with a fine turn from De Niro. Few denouements are quite as sinister and horrific. One of Parker's best.

From Beyond The Grave (7)

A rewatch of one of my favourite pormanteaus. All the stories are very entertaining, and it's rare for one of these old Amicus anthologies to be so consistent. Terrific British cast - David Warner, Ian Bannon, Donald Pleasence, Ian Carmichael, Ian Ogilvy, Jack Watson - headed by the wonderful Peter Cushing. Great fun.
Old 10-10-2017, 20:29   #565
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

The Rosary Murders (8)

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Nothing sexy, but a very entertaining serial killer thriller starring Donald Sutherland and Charles Durning as priests. Surprisingly creepy at a couple of points also, not least a near glimpse of Durning's sweaty big tit inside a white t-shirt. Good old Friday night shit film, can't beat them.

The Two Faces of Dr Jekyll (9)

My first Hammer of the season, and it certainly isn't one of their best. Rather plodding, with a very bland lead, it is spiced up by a typically charismatic turn from Christopher Lee, a boisterous cameo from a truly-bwoar Oliver Reed, and a very good dummy death. I can't help but thinking that Reed would have made a far better lead, but Hammer decided to go with some cunt instead. Their loss.

Jacob's Ladder (10)

I remember first seeing this late at night many moons ago and it scared the crap out of me. But there's so much more to appreciate here beyond the horror. It's a simply remarkable film, with some of the most disturbing visuals you're likely to see and incredible performances (Robbins is magnificent, but is ably supported by the great Danny Aiello, Eriq La Salle and Pruitt Taylor Vince).
Old 12-10-2017, 12:36   #566
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Kill, Baby..Kill! (11)

Mario Bava hasn't let me down yet. Perhaps his most atmospheric film, it's an old-fashioned Gothic horror with some very memorable scares (the doll room scene was brilliantly done) and sequences (the repeated running through the same room and the presence of a double almost reminded me of Twin Peaks). Having a boy play the little girl was rather inspired. I just wish the film had a better name, Kill Baby Kill sounds like a Russ Meyer film.

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1941) (12)

I approached this one with trepidation as I'd heard a few negative things, but I really don't see the problem. I thought Spencer Tracy was excellent as Hyde, giving him a particularly menacing quality. Some nice atmospheric shots of 'old London' via a Hollywood set too. It's better than a lot of old Universal horrors that's for sure. I'll be watching the Fredric March version soon.
Old 12-10-2017, 17:29   #567
rebelinho
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Would you suggest Jacob's Ladder to someone who doesn't really have a thing for horror films?

rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 19:31   #568
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Yes, absolutely. There are horror elements there but its appeal is much broader.
Old 14-10-2017, 15:06   #569
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

City of the Dead (13)

I thought this was excellent, well-worthy of its hype as a British horror classic. Wonderfully moody cinematography is the key to this film's atmosphere. Christopher Lee doing an American accent helps too. Loved the ending as well, and only 78 minutes, can't argue with that. Again though, I'm not really a fan of the name, which is more evocative of later zombie flicks (the US title of Horror Hotel isn't any better).

Twice-Told Tales (14)

This surely didn't need to be two hours long, but I still enjoyed it. Having Vincent Price in all three is critical, and the first also benefits from another great actor in Sebastian Cabot, the rapport between the two plainly evident (it's the kind of story that wouldn't have worked with lesser actors). The second story was pretty shit, but the third was better, and most importantly ended well. Not a vintage portmanteau but certainly not the worst.

Tales from the Crypt (15)

Now when you talk of great portmanteaus, this, like From Beyond the Grave, is one of the best. There's probably 1, maybe 2, weak stories in there, but no stinkers. And it contains perhaps my favourite segment of any horror anthology, where the magnificent Peter Cushing plays the tragic Mr Grimsdyke. It's simply brilliant.

The House That Screamed (16)

This Spanish horror has quite the reputation, and I'm happy to say that it's thoroughly merited. It's a beautifully shot, very atmospheric film that takes its time in building to a very effective and memorable conclusion (and it's not afraid to take a major narrative shift about 3/4 of the way through). I was very impressed by it. Some talk of an influence on Suspiria but I think that's rather lazy, going on the setting alone. This deserves to stand on its own merits. And for fuck's sake make sure you watch the 104 minute version, the 94 minute US one misses a lot of important shit.
Old 16-10-2017, 12:32   #570
BarnDoor
Witchfinder General

Orca (17)

I've always enjoyed this film, even if a certain visceral scene is pretty hard to watch (you know which one if you've seen it). Harris is his usual charismatic self, and I always appreciate a film which drags Will Sampson along for no obvious reason just to kill him in hilarious fashion. Of course it's absolutely ludicrous throughout but it's all the more entertaining for it. I'd say it's better than the Jaws sequels at least, even if I do like Jaws 2.

Blood on Satan's Claw (18)

Now this film I truly adore. I've probably mentioned it before on this thread as this is about the fourth time I've seen it, and it just gets better each time. It feels appropriately authentic to the period; it's brilliantly shot; the score is fantastic; and Patrick Wymark is beyond magnificent (plus that ending). Without question, an all-time classic British horror, perhaps only equalled in cinematic terms by The Innocents.

Madhouse (1981) (19)

I didn't expect much of this but was very pleasantly surprised. Though filmed in America with local actors, it's an Italian production and so has that certain quality to it. Some nice gore, decent atmospheric moments and a very good finale. The cunt playing the priest was particularly memorable. A perfectly competent little slasher/haunted house/murderous dog hybrid.