PESGaming Associates: Downloads Centre | Soccer Gaming
sponsored by: cedar park lawn service and landscaping
User Tag List

Old 12-05-2015, 20:34   #31
Dundon's
W.G.P
  • Supports: Ozil's Eyes
  • PSN: Maragenie10

Dundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelinho View Post

I'm certain a desktop will make much more fan noise, but it won't be something I'll take as vital when deciding a specific hardware.
Stock coolers are of the devil.

"Liverpool,she is the prostitute to relax Sahin while we tried to get a good wife as simple as that." Meyyappan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dundon's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:35   #32
rebelinho
  • Supports: FC Porto, Swansea

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundon's View Post
Stock coolers are of the devil.
Care to elaborate? Not sure I'm seeing your point...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rebelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:56   #33
Sweey
Administrator
  • Supports: AC Milan, Italy, Red Star Belgrade, Boavista
  • PSN: calcio_di_rigore

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
Care to elaborate? Not sure I'm seeing your point...
They're shit.

If you believe the not-too-ridiculous beliefs of most, Intel's coolers are just good enough to keep the processor alive for three or so years before you need to upgrade. I personally wouldn't go that far but the processor can get a bit hot under a stock cooler at full load.

The "shit" however, refers to people constantly playing high-end games or doing some other high-end work. You rarely play high-end games and this needs to be remembered. Your requirements are different.
Sweey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 21:11   #34
rebelinho

rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?rebelinho has by now received a condescending reply from Football777. Right Son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
They're shit.

If you believe the not-too-ridiculous beliefs of most, Intel's coolers are just good enough to keep the processor alive for three or so years before you need to upgrade. I personally wouldn't go that far but the processor can get a bit hot under a stock cooler at full load.

The "shit" however, refers to people constantly playing high-end games or doing some other high-end work. You rarely play high-end games and this needs to be remembered. Your requirements are different.
I didn't know one thing I remembered just now that explains my confusion. I wasn't aware that CPU coolers are one of the loudest parts of a desktop, but knowing that it makes sense.

So you're saying for harder gaming purposes, even without overclock, the stock Intel cooler isn't enough for, let's say, 5 years?

And know we're talking about cooling, will this case with its stock fan + this fan (M8-S3 version) be enough to cool, in the "worst" case, a R9 280X? I have no idea of how much air flow is needed for sufficient cooling.

Old 12-05-2015, 22:41   #35
Sweey
Administrator

Sweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post countSweey is aiming for Dragonfly's post count

Quote:
I didn't know one thing I remembered just now that explains my confusion. I wasn't aware that CPU coolers are one of the loudest parts of a desktop, but knowing that it makes sense.

So you're saying for harder gaming purposes, even without overclock, the stock Intel cooler isn't enough for, let's say, 5 years?

And know we're talking about cooling, will this case with its stock fan + this fan (M8-S3 version) be enough to cool, in the "worst" case, a R9 280X? I have no idea of how much air flow is needed for sufficient cooling.
Can't load the first link as I have cookies blocked but I'm sure the case will be fine. The cooler on the R9 280X will be decent enough in itself to be honest.

It is difficult to say if a stock Intel cooler will be fine for 5 years. Some people will say they're good for ten years, others will say not for 3. I think you'll be fine to be honest as long as you don't overclock. If you ever do want to overclock, go for a third-party heatsink at that time.
Old 12-05-2015, 22:53   #36
rebelinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweey View Post
Can't load the first link as I have cookies blocked but I'm sure the case will be fine. The cooler on the R9 280X will be decent enough in itself to be honest.
I should have made myself clearer: the fan linked is for the case, not the gpu. I suppose the case's fans need to create enough air flow to cool every component, or does the gpu's fan suffice for the gpu?

Old 12-05-2015, 22:56   #37
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
I should have made myself clearer: the fan linked is for the case, not the gpu. I suppose the case's fans need to create enough air flow to cool every component, or does the gpu's fan suffice for the gpu?
I know the fan is for the case :> but the GPU - and the custom heatsink it comes with - will be more than adequate for itself. I have three fans in my case, one at the back, one at the front and one at the top. The top one shifts a good amount of air but is large at 200mm. One or two fans in the case (which may come with one or two pre-installed anyway) should suffice. The GPU will only be concerned with looking after itself.
Old 12-05-2015, 23:00   #38
Sweey
Administrator

That case is steel

The one experience I've had with a purely steel case was that there was no way of me bringing the temperature down enough. The GPU in that (my old case) would run 10-15 degrees higher than in the Antec 1100 I replaced it with. The one you've chosen may not be as bad and I wouldn't be panicking, just be aware that steel is steel and it'd be nice to have a bit of plastic in the mix as well. The Antec 1100 has much better airlow as it is less cramped and a bit more "open" in general terms (like the top fan).

Once again though, you should be fine. There's an amount of overthinking going on at the moment which is good for educational purposes but could leave you second guessing every decision you make for no reason.

Have you confirmed that the case can accomodate the length of the GPU?
Old 12-05-2015, 23:09   #39
rebelinho

Yes, I have, they can take GPUs up to 310mm, the biggest one on the list is the Gigabyte 280X with 285mm, so I'm good.

There's this case as well, pretty much the same (same size, features, etc, even the brand) that's 1€ more expensive, and the front is in metallic mesh. I'd say it is a better option, do you agree?

I only choose that case because it is the smallest I could find, under the 30€ price tag. Never crossed my mind that the fully closed front (it's plastic, but brushed to mimic metal) might be an issue.

Old 12-05-2015, 23:54   #40
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I have, they can take GPUs up to 310mm, the biggest one on the list is the Gigabyte 280X with 285mm, so I'm good.

There's this case as well, pretty much the same (same size, features, etc, even the brand) that's 1€ more expensive, and the front is in metallic mesh. I'd say it is a better option, do you agree?

I only choose that case because it is the smallest I could find, under the 30€ price tag. Never crossed my mind that the fully closed front (it's plastic, but brushed to mimic metal) might be an issue.
Are there reviews of the two cases anywhere for you to compare some findings? You may not have an issue with either of them but my experience with the Silverstone TJ-09 (http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2008/...09_profile.jpg) all those years ago has left me weary. I would never have believed a case would have that much impact when it was large (and VERY heavy!). I mean you look at that picture and aside from the metal construction you wouldn't think of any issue at all. Perhaps I was just unlucky or had a messed up fan setup.
Old 13-05-2015, 00:35   #41
rebelinho

Nox is a spanish brand, and I've only found reviews for the Coolbay (the one with the mesh). It seems fine, enough space and funcionalities (no card reader though, and it has a 3.0 USB port on the side. Even worse, it is on the opposite side to the lateral fan, so it has to have plenty of space on both sides). The major problem is the usual one woth cheaper cases, the PSU goes on the top and the back fan is fairly small (just 80mm). Nevertheless it should suit my needs well.

Just one more thing: the PSU has two Molex cables; if I want/need to connect three fans, is it possible?

Old 13-05-2015, 10:56   #42
Dundon's
W.G.P

Dundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung outDundon's is likely to have heard by now that PESInsight was where the cool kids hung out

Molex fan connectors are gone out with the duffle coat mate.

All the fans these days are hooked upto the motherboard, you should find at least 3 fan header connections on that, one for the CPU cooler, one for the exhaust and the other for the front or side fans etc. That's why I was telling you not to get a PSU that isn't at least semi modular.

"Liverpool,she is the prostitute to relax Sahin while we tried to get a good wife as simple as that." Meyyappan

Old 13-05-2015, 13:21   #43
rebelinho

Quote:
Molex fan connectors are gone out with the duffle coat mate.

All the fans these days are hooked upto the motherboard, you should find at least 3 fan header connections on that, one for the CPU cooler, one for the exhaust and the other for the front or side fans etc. That's why I was telling you not to get a PSU that isn't at least semi modular.
Duffle coats are still a thing... among hipsters.

As for the mobo, in here they state

1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x Chassis Fan connector(s)

What is that exhaust you mentioned, the rear fan I suppose? Following the specs I'd say I can only connect two fans to the motherboard, would a third one be connect to the PSU?

Old 13-05-2015, 13:41   #44
Dundon's
W.G.P

Yes, the exhaust is the rear fan dude. The problem with connecting direct to the PSU is that the fan will fire at a constant 100% speed which is nasty. On the other hand you might get away with just the rear fan and use the other spare connector for your CPU.

You can get lil splitters aswell and run 2 off the one header, all minor details.

Old 13-05-2015, 16:54   #45
Sweey
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, the exhaust is the rear fan dude. The problem with connecting direct to the PSU is that the fan will fire at a constant 100% speed which is nasty. On the other hand you might get away with just the rear fan and use the other spare connector for your CPU.

You can get lil splitters aswell and run 2 off the one header, all minor details.
I don't see much of an issue with the fan constantly running at 100% as long as it isn't one of those fucking loud ones. All of mine are running at 100% and the computer is quiet. I did experiment with a loud one and didn't appreciate having an aeroplane in my room.